New garage at home - metal or wood or stone

I’ve never had very good or no garaging in any house I’ve lived in and indeed I restored my mx5 on a gravel drive so spent a long time looking for parts I’d dropped in the golden Flint gravel.

The layout of our site includes a north facing 30 ft by 60 ft salient bordered by high hedges in front of the neighbours garden. It presently has a small 1.5 wooden prefab garage I put on it when I built the house.

The council has given pre planning approval to a 20ft by 40ft workshop garage. There is no discussion of materials and it’s free choice.

The house is an oak and sandstone neoclassical cottage. A house like this might expect to have an oak frame garage but as the building will mostly not be seen and I have a lot of oak already.

I actually think an insulated steel workshop might be good but I wondered if anyone had experience of these and what alternatives anyone has found effective.

Thanks

If it is within 1m of the neighbours boundary it needs to be fireproof (not wood)

1 Like

Hi Andrew
About 18 years ago i took down an old concrete garage that basically was always damp because concrete and brick single wall generally always sweat a bit,i replaced it with an amazing about 30ft x 10 ft wooden garage by Ashford Timber Ashford Road Kent Website www.nationalstables.co.uk,they tailor make it exactly how you want,including extra doors windows,i even had the roof made of 20m/mm boarding instead of 13m/m,my garage is built directly on the boundary ,they line the garage as they build it with pitch paper,but on my boundary side they lined it with a special fireprrof alumimium sandwich paper that makes it comply with building regs so no problem,only very few pounds more.
The garage i am very pleased with not ever is there the slightest hint of damp,and basically is still as good as new,we researched at least 7 different companies before choosing this garage,the quality was streets ahead of most of them,not sure where you live,but i live in Bucks if you wanted to see my garage you are welcome,i also totally lined the garage with compressed board.,

All best simon

1 Like

Hi thanks - the existing garage base was constructed with that distance and the new one will have a meter either side too.

I’m at the other end of the country but you have me thinking about wood again.

I’m about as far from Kent as you can get in England but we have similar businesses up here

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.