New GB Numberplates?

Just been to Halfords to get some number plates for my daily driver (Personal Plate on retention ready for new car).
Euro GB plates are no longer relevant since Brexit, so apparently the Government are looking at designs for new GB 'plates to avoid going back to the days of GB stickers and badges.
Anybody any idea what these are going to look like?
(Please don’t get into the politics of the EU or Brexit)

1 Like

Funnily enough just been looking at that.
As need to get a pair made.
This is lifted directly from the GOV site based on we’ve left.
Published 31st December 2020, Driving in the EU.

GB stickers and number plates

You do not need a [GB sticker] if your number plate includes the GB identifier on its own or with the Union flag.

You do not need to display a GB sticker to drive in Ireland.

You must display a GB sticker clearly on the rear of your vehicle if your number plate has any of the following:

• a Euro symbol
  • a national flag of England, Scotland or Wales
  • numbers and letters only – no flag or identifier

If you’re in Spain, Cyprus or Malta, you must display a GB sticker no matter what is on your number plate.

1 Like

Got a GB and a Euro flag on mine, let’s see if Dibble takes an interest!

2 Likes

Wouldn’t the re-spaced or de-spaced numbers and letters along with the dark anti camera tint and the boot full of cheap cigs say just as much?

1 Like

I think you can have what you like (within reason) on your number plate. I was just concerned with what plates to put on the MX-5 to avoid having (in my opinion) an ugly GB sticker.
Looks like if driving in Spain, Cyprus or Malta there is no avoiding it but elsewhere in Europe a GB (without the Euro symbol) will do it.

1 Like

So, you’ve seen me on holiday then :grinning: :sunglasses:

:joy: :joy: :joy:

By the time we can actually go abroad they will have had plenty of time to design one

1 Like

Just for your info.
Having researched high and low I wanted to order some decent plates online.
Various companies…
Was happy to provide documents but didn’t wish to post them on with all that hassle.
The below company I used is good and you just need to take copies of your DL and Registration documents and email them.
This suited me.
A matter for your good selves.
Reasonable fair price too including free delivery. :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

1 Like

That’s great, thanks for all your research.
Another option I have found is to buy stickers to go over the Euro GB section of the plate
2 x NUMBER PLATE GB Union Jack Car Van Stickers Decals 34 x 104mm | eBay
Could be cheaper and easier than a new set of plates provided the quality is acceptable.
Certainly worth a try at the price

2 Likes

Agreed and just done that for the plates on my MX5.
But my other car has nothing on them except the crappy dealer logo!
Got the GB and Union Jack flag on them. :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

looks like Europe won’t accept that and you probably need a GB plate. We still accept the euro plate here, perhaps we should reconsider?

So :-
Number plates with GB logo, with or without the optional Union flag - no GB Sticker or badge required.
Number plates with national flag (England, Scotland, Wales) or Euro logo or if travelling to Spain, Malta or Cyprus - GB sticker or badge required.
Makes sense really as the GB + Union flag is the equivalent of the EU national code + Euro symbol and probably means minimal adjustment of border control number plate recognition cameras

No you don’t as per the GOV information above with the exceptions as above. :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

I have a magnetic GB I keep on the underside of the boot lid and use as required.

2 Likes

Good shout. :+1:
Just looked on eBay and found one that shape tested to 130mph!!!

I’ve never had it on at 130, next time I have it on I’ll give it a try :rofl:. Its done a lot of motorway work in all weathers and never moved.

1 Like

Just got a pair of totally legal, without any flags/emblems, from our local car accessory shop, listed as an approved supplier on the DVLA website. Took the V5C and my driving licence, did them while I waited 10 minutes, cost £23-90. Well pleased.

2 Likes

Worth pointing out that “GB” in this context refers to the UK. For drivers from Northern Ireland touring in Europe, they must display GB. NI is not an official abbreviation.

I’d wait and see what happens later this year in Scotland as GB might not exist for much longer.

2 Likes