New (ish) Eunos NA Owner - Worthing!

Hey guys! New member here and new member of the owners club.

I have a 1991 Eunos Roadster NA 1.6, in Silver Stone metallic (what’s left of it anyway). I’m based down on the south coast in Worthing, just outside Brighton. Here’s my journey so far! (bit long, sorry)

I’ve always had a ‘thing’ for the mk1, since the early days and having grown up playing Gran Turismo :rofl: - maybe it’s those pop up headlights?!

Fast forward to my 30’s, my premature midlife crisis kicking in, I needed an MX5 in my life! Being an automatic only license holder - due to personal reasons - finding a good, affordable auto mk1 was like trying to find unicorn ■■■■. Hours of scouring ebay, autotrader and the likes, to no fruition. Then one day, I came across a listing on ebay for an NA Auto, 1.6, starting bid at £500 and only a couple of days to go. Few messages exchanged with the owner, and I secured it for £450. I was so excited!

The car, as you’ll see, is not in the best condition, but I knew that, and still took a punt on it. For £450, for a Eunos with MOT, was an opportunity not to be passed up! I drove it back from Kettering to Worthing, a good 150 mile journey, and it was absolute faultless to drive. Stop start traffic as is usual for the M25, and didn’t overheat, excellent oil pressure, didn’t make any unwanted noises and was solid the entire way. I was beyond impressed. But the bodywork was terrible and there was no way on earth it’d pass another MOT. So I used it as much as I could for the last few weeks of it’s MOT, and I absolutely fell in love with it, to the point I named her. Maisie, the Miata. But then we had to have her parked up for 3 months till we decided what to do with her.

Fast forward to 2022, the car went through a full inspection just after new year, and the rust and rot was far worse than first anticipated. I knew the sills were rotten, but I had no idea, just how much more was rotten too. In the end, I had to buy two new front wings, two new full sills, two new rear arches and two new inner rear arches as they were all completely shot. The drain holes for the roof were completely blocked with debris which possibly made matters worse. Also there was some rot setting in under the passenger footwell so some steel plating had to be sourced to repair this. Mechanically though, absolutely sound. Aside from the power steering rack developing a leak due to being stood in the elements for a while as the dog ate my car cover…

So far, I’ve spent £2200 on her, that’s including the car itself. Managed to source some original Daisy’s too, to replace the awful after market 15"s.

Anyway, here are some pics! And I also have an Instagram page for anyone interested in following my progress to restoration! @maisiethemiata

• This is how I bought her.

• This is just before her big adventure to the North, sporting Daisys!

• Last update from the North, as you can see, the extent of the rot around the rear arches was worse than first visible.

Am I mad? Possibly. Anyway, thanks for reading and I hope to hear from other members here as I’m sure I’ll need some advice :rofl: - James

6 Likes

Welcome to the mad house.
It looks like you’re well on your way to breathing life into the patient and getting her back on the road again.
Hopefully just in time for warm, sunny weather when you’ll be able to enjoy her to the fullest.
It would be great to keep up with her progress if you get the opportunity too.
All the best,
Guy :+1:

2 Likes

Welcome! Mk1s are becoming classics now and will only go up in value so if yours is sound mechanically then your bodywork investment is good value imho.

Plus you have the satisfaction of resurrecting something that you will cherish and enjoy for a good few years. I’m absolutely besotted with my Mk2.5.

Yes, please keep us updated on Maisie’s journey.

2 Likes

You are positively certifiable.
Indeed, mad as a box of frogs on speed.
You need immediate help.

That’s just some flesh wounds. Nothing to worry about.

Apart from that, me too.

[url=https:/[url=https://postimg.cc/y3H218cX]

[/url]/postimg.cc/SXHwPrKP][/url]

However, when you are deemed fit to be released (on licence) into the general population again, you can drive a rare example of the finest global mass produced sports car ever that kicked motoring history off…for very little money really. :wink:

5 Likes

I’d get all fluids…every one of them…incl water, diff…changed out including the ATF.
You don’t have a sexy diff unless it was modded later. Just a par for course “open” 4.1
You won’t get all 6.7 odd litres out, but maybe 5.5 or so.
Plus an Auto filter…which Andrew at Autolink in Dumfries will have in stock.
Now, must think up more ways to spend your money.
Hard work this is…

4 Likes

The arch rust is part for the course; I would recommend anyone who is getting sill repairs done on a NA to factor in arch repairs. Blocked drains don’t help, but the real cause of the rusting is failure of the wing lip seal. I religiously kept clear the drains for 12 years. Still ha to have all the rear sills and arches replace.

In a way you brought a NA in the right possible way; get an honest car cheap, warts and all, rather than paying a LOT more for a car that looks superficially nice, but is hiding a lot of problems, including poor repairs.

Even cars in Japan are rusting, and the repairs can be appalling.

Yes, he really tried to solder bits of metal in place, before soldering on mesh and slathering on filler. Soldering seems to be a common DIY approach in Japan to fixing rot. So the days of rust free imports are over.

3 Likes

Another Mk1 saved from going to the scrap heap in the sky. (All mx5s go to heaven)

2 Likes

You will not regret it and great you are saving a mk1. I have a mk1 1.6 auto, and love it, not the fastest, but puts a smile on my face, and a relatively simple & tough gearbox.

1 Like

Thank you!

I only have an Automatic licence for personal reasons, so I’m eternally grateful that Mazda even made the MX5 with an Auto. As you say, it’s not the fastest in the world, but it’s so much fun. Up to a month ago, I daily drove a 300bhp Alfa Romeo, and I much preferred the drive of the MX5. Plus, the community of MX5 drivers is fantastic. When it was roadworthy and could drive it around, used to get waves, flashes and beeps from other MX5’s, was really nice! Can’t wait to get it back on the road :slight_smile:

1 Like

Deleted my previous post as it was irrelevant.

So, a small, but quite significant update on the progress of poor Maisie, the roadster that was made of Swiss cheese.

A lot of time has passed, and with some ill health and work commitments getting in the way, but progress has been made!

As of now, the off side has been completely re done, with the rear wing, inner and out sills all being replaced and welded in, the front wing just needs bolting into place then that is the off side complete. Thankfully, it was the off side which was the worst of the two.

Now to tackle the near side!

2 Likes

Long time, no see folks!

What a difference (almost) a year makes.

The journey on restoring poor Maisie continues, albeit at a leisurely pace. Massive shout out to my step dad for having the ability, knowledge, equipment, and lets face it, courage, to take on the mammoth welding tasks that would otherwise have cost me thousands.

The task in hand, to restore this worthy girl, was far FAR bigger than first anticipated. I’ve ummed and ahhh’d about cutting my losses, and selling or scrapping the poor girl, as costs mounted, the deeper we delved, but just one look from those pop up headlights, and all was forgiven. Some say it’s madness to become emotionally attached to a car, in that case, I’m certifiable.

The rot was far greater than we first knew, and as the layers were peeled back, the more we found, but she’s a worthy cause, and my step dad being the absolute legend that he is, has set to work on her, and, hopefully from the pictures below will attest, has done her, and the MX5 community proud. Other jobs needed doing as well, as the suspension needed attention, shockers replacing etc, and the brake system was rather knackered, so new pads, discs and calipers were the right way to go. The power steering had failed too, due to a rusted leaky pressure pipe, now replaced.

The big jobs are coming to an end, thankfully, but there is more to come before she can be deemed “finished” - mostly cosmetic, but that’s not important right now.

• As you can see, the rot had set in far deeper than we thought.

• OSR arch and sill completed, ready to be tidied up

• NSR arch and sill fully repaired

• After a little tidying up!

• Both inner arches repaired

• Maisie looking a bit worse for wear but finally back together after being dismantled for over a year.

Amazingly, despite the fact that she’s been off the road and not moved in over a year, she starts first time with no issues! Next plan of action is to get her serviced, new fluids all round etc and get her ready for an MOT, which leads me onto a question I’d like to ask the community (I’ve you’ve made it this far!)

The car is currently in East Yorkshire, close to Driffield, and I would like to ask if anyone can recommend anyone or anywhere nearby that can give the car a bit of an inspection to see if it will meet MOT standards? I do have a free MOT with Halfords as a membership perk, would it be worth just using that to get it to a garage to be inspected? What would be the best route to take now to getting her roadworthy? Aesthetically, she’s a bit rough but so long as she’s roadworthy, that is all I care about.

Thanks for bearing with me this far!

James

2 Likes

Hey folks,

So I’m sure you may have seen elsewhere that there has been significant progress in getting Maisie back on her feet.

The welding work has been completed, and I’m pleased to report that she now has an MOT, with ZERO advisories!! Which, quite frankly, is astonishing considering the condition I left her in a while ago! My step-dad has worked absolute magic on getting her mechanically sound.

I finally found a slot in my diary to pick her up for the drive back home to the South Coast. Got her taxed and insured for a fantastic price (thanks Lancaster!)

My trip home from Driffield would be via St Helens, and then directly down to Worthing. All in all, a trip of around 400 miles. Considering that the most she’d driven is 10 miles round trip to the MOT center, I was a little nervous about making such a big journey, but needn’t have worried. Performed flawlessly. Got stuck in some traffic on the M56 and M25 and no sign of over heating at all. Even averaged 34mpg surprisingly.

Got her home finally and set about having a look at the coolant, as I know it hadn’t been touched in at least 2 years, the length of time I’ve owned her. I’m glad I did. The radiator and expansion tank was full of rusty looking liquid, and I’m fairly confident it was just water… Quickly dropped out, flushed out with a bottle of Wynns Rad Flush, flushed out some more till the water turned clear again, and topped up with coolant.

Quick question on this, it’s stated the system takes 6 litres of coolant. Even though I had all fluids drained, when topping up, the absolute most I could get into the system was around 5. Is this something I should be worried about? All temps are normal, even when pushing it at motorway speeds and in traffic? Hot air blows hot, cold are is lukewarm (air con condenser needs replacing) - the only issue I find is that the Rad fan doesn’t appear to start up, unless the air con button is depressed. Any one have any advice?

Next up, I have to do something about the bodywork…

2 Likes

Did you fit a full chassis leg on your mk2 ?

5 litres for a drain and refill is about right, 6 litres is for a dry system. The rad fan should come on after a prolonged period of idling a warm engine. I’d start by suspecting the fan switch in the top of the thermostat housing, disconnect it and short the wire to ground with the ignition on and see if the fan starts.

1 Like

Yes. No alternative. The nearside was repaired.
Both our Mazdas are being sold off after 16 years had enough of chasing rot tbh and health has become a bigger deal. Been loyal, but need to move on. Need a plug n play funster…which we get in July in the form of a Swift Hybrid Turbo.

Wow big job but the right way to do it , I did a cellette jig training course years ago and the rule was not to repair chassis legs only replace to next section . Enjoy your swift , my wife has a fast Audi a1 and that’s good fun and doesn’t seem to be dissolving :rofl: