New "ish" member from Cheshire

Afternoon all

Finally decided to put pen to paper. I’ve been lurking on here for about 18 months, researching, planning, plotting… I’m hopefully about to buy my first MX5.

I’ve wanted an MX5 for years but it’s only become a realistic option recently. I’ve got 2 possible budgets for an NC. I like the look of the 20th Anniversary models (white or blue) but it I pluck up the courage and can find one I like I’d really like to get a Kuro edition (or sport black) in white (I love the look of them with the black roof).

I’m hoping to get to the big anniversary show next month to do some final research before pulling the trigger.

I’ve started to take a serious look at some adverts and have noticed that one or two cars that are of interest have been modified. I’ve never been interested in that sort of thing so have no idea what kind of impact it can have on insurance etc. I appreciate it’s probably a difficult question to answer but would a car with modified suspension be a major issue when it comes to insurance? Would it be a reasonable option to buy one with modded suspension with the intention of removing the mod in order to get the vehicle back to stock format?? I live in an area where they love speed bumps etc. so I’m not sure how lowered suspension would manage.

Anyway, cheers for now.

1 Like

Welcome. I’ve had both a 20th anniversary (in blue) and now have a white sport black. First thing to decide is whether you want a soft top or folding hard top as 20th is the former and sport black the latter. Likewise 1.8 or 2.0. My car has been lowered 30mm and I live in rural Norfolk. No major issues but I do crawl (virtually sideways) over speed bumps. Insurance didn’t change for me (admiral 39yr old little no claims as all in the other cars). I’m going on the 9th June so you are welcome to let me know if you want a proper look at mine close up (it’s by no means a concours car as it’s my daily currently - not for sale at all but if you want to see one with no awkwardness it’s there).

All the best.

My Sport Black is stock and laughs in the face of speed bumps.
Mazda did the tweaks with the suspension (body roll is designed in) and the later NC’s sit a bit lower. The gap between the front tyre and the wheel arch gives the impression that it is sitting up a bit. My car slightly rakes down towards the front when tested with a spirit level on the sills.
I bought it so that I could do the odd track day and sprint out of the box. Stuck a Cobalt back box on it and it suits me fine.

Welcome. Whereabouts in Cheshire?

Lowered with a decent setup doesn’t need to cause any issues with speed bumps. As long as don’t go too low :+1:

Insurance is always a difficult one to advise on, as everyone has different variables to take into account. But I added coilovers to my NC2 that I sold the other month. No additional premium. Aftermarket and a few other modifications added around £10-20 annually as I recall. That was with Lancaster for reference.

There’s also a variety of Mk3s usually at a Cheshire & North Wales meeting, or of course we have the National rally coming up as you know. No better place to gather info and compare different cars.

All the best with the search.

Cheers,
Steve

Thanks for the replies.

If I had the choice I’d love a 2.0l Kuro or sport black as they have all the bells and whistles. There is the undeniable appeal of the simple soft top hence looking at the 20th anniversary but once you start saying, ooh I’d like heated seats … then you may as well go big or go home.

As I’ve never owned anything like an MX5 I think the kuro / sport black cover so many bases (air con, heated seats, 6 speed box etc.). I may not get another chance at this so I don’t want to be left feeling what might have been. It does mean jump in price though (unless I widen my search to Sport Tech models).

I’m hopeful that the insurance wont cause too much grief, I had a quote recently for a 2.0 Kuro that was OK but as I’ve never had any mods I wasn’t sure if even 1 modification might give insurance companies the excuse to just go mad. Good to know that that hopefully wont be the case if I do go down that road.

I’ll just have to learn how to go over speed bumps properly I suppose.

Thanks for the offer of a guided tour Craig, I may take you up on that (unless I cant wait that long and buy one in the next couple of weeks !!)

No problem. Good luck with it all, keep us posted and if you need anything I’m sure someone will always have the answer here!

Having had several (and i mean several) NC’s including 4 Sport Blacks in Green i would just add that the only real thing that sets them apart are the black roofs. if that’s your thing then pay the extra, or get a standard hard top sport tech and wrap the roof. This will open your choice to a much bigger selection

With regard to lowered, if its just Eibach spring lowering then speed bumps should not be an issue and yes it is easy enough to return to stock if you wish to buy the springs. If its coilovers etc, ask if the seller kept the originals (like i did) and if they can include them. Otherwise put out a shout on here as many sets are sitting around in garages gathering dust (like mine)

Also the 20th is a nice enough car but many missing features that for a few quid more you can get in a sport.

Just be careful when looking, the rust is becoming a bigger issue now as time moves on.

Hi.
If you need any help with insurance for a modified vehicle then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.

Cheers harco, I have looked at the possibility of wrapping the roof of a hard top. Sounds as though there may be potential issues with damage to the paint?

I’ve drawn up a list of potential cars this afternoon (Sport Tech, Kuro’s and Sports Black are on the list). I need to get a feel for what sort of condition these machines are going to be in in my price range as I may be really reducing my options (as you said) If I’m looking for a perfect model, colour, age, condition etc. I could be looking for ages and be missing out on the actual pleasure of owning / driving the thing.

At least everyones (much appreciated) feedback has put my mind at ease regarding modded suspension, speed bumps and insurance so thanks again.

Dan, when the time comes I’m sure I’ll be in touch.

Cheers