New Mazda 15” wheel and tyres

Has anyone bought the 15” alloy wheels and tyres package from mx5parts. I’m looking to put lighter wheels and tyre on my NA. I bought the car with std daisy wheels and foolishly swapped to a set of 15” WRs with unheard of tyres bought from Halfords, Although they look good and suit my taste, I’m beginning to convince myself they are heavy and don’t do much for the driving experience. I’m going to take one off and weigh it so I can make sure I go lighter. I’m assuming the new Mazda 15” will be quite light for the size, maybe not as light as the daisy wheels but lighter than the Halfords offering. If anyone has any experience or stats on the mx5parts wheels I’d like to hear. Ps although I read that wheel and tyre weight make a huge difference to the NA it’s annoying that it’s so difficult to find the data, especially from mx5parts who’d you’d think would know it’s important info. https://www.mx5parts.co.uk/genuine-mazda-alloy-wheel-tyre-package-mk1-25-p-2245.html

I have a set of 15” motorsport dynamic wheels for sale with tyres

Its a bit strange for MX5parts to say they have gotten a 14" design reproduced in 15", and then say these are “genuine Mazda”.

These wheels are manufactured b Fondmetal. This is not a design unique to Mazda, because Fondmetal call it the 6200.

No sign of wheel specs, but I wouldn’t think this is an ultralight wheel, probably around 15-16lbs. Tis is a wheel used by Mazda Europe, rather than being a “factory” wheel.

Same wheel as fitted to the Angels Edition isn’t it? The reason the white Enki wheels became readily available.

I think some of those white Enkeis at the time weren’t for a MX5, but for a 323. Same fitment, but not super light weight like the JDM Enkeis (the wheel fitted to the NR-A Roadster)… The only suppliers of factory wheels were Enkei and Racing Hart (Mazdaspeed Turbo).

Angels/MX5 wheels

Fondmetal 6200, for Renault

Apparently off a Subaru:

So pretty clear tis wheel isn’t a Mazda design. They just used an off the shelf design from a second tier supplier… No closer to the weight though, though its not going to be light, given the wide range of intended fitments.

Where are you situated? If you want to message me with price I’ll consider them. They look quite fresh, excuse my ignorance but did they come in black or have they been coated?

Thanks for all the comments, especially the origins of the mx5parts alloys. I’d still like to find out the actual weight of them for comparison to my current set, ideally it would be ultra light wheels for the driving experience but forgive me if you disagree, but the styling obviously is secondary. I’m not looking to go track racing, more Sunday spirited runs out. I’m also unashamedly looking for admirers when parked up, so I’d pitch my requirements 50/50 …I know it’s like helping the wife choose a dress🥴

Morning Trevor
They are all new and no they have not been sprayed that’s the colour they come in the cost of the set is £275 and they are based in the Durham area but I can get them moved.
Thanks Cliff

For what its worth, Mazda’s own clubman special edition, the M2-1001, came with 15" Panasports, which are a heftyosh 14-15lbs. I suspect the Fondmetal will be an average weight.

The light aftermarket wheel to go for will be the Enkei RPF1 (which has loads of heavy knock-offs)

A bargain light wheel is the 15" Mk2 wheel; these were made by Enkei, and are 12-13Lbs.

This is my old Mk1 on them, when you could buy them new from Mazda for £120 each.

I think getting the right fitment outweighs, to an extent, weight. Few 15" wheels are actually “heavy”. Compomotive tends to be heavy, because they are strong, aimed at a motorsport application.l

Here is the old favorite wheel weight data. It is out of date and as most of the figures come from very different people making their own measurement not particularly accurate.
If it concerns you it is not that you want light wheels but that you don’t want heavy ones.
https://www.miata.net/faq/wheel_weights.html

2 Likes

That table is interesting. Is there one for NC wheels?

Probably not relevant as it’s for an NC, but I’ve just weighed my spare Niseko 17 x 7 wheel AND its virgin Dunlop Maxx, together they are 15.5kg (34lbs), effectively double the 2016 GT 17 x 7 bare rim (17.8lb or 8kg). Which shows how much a tyre can contribute.

Picture taken in 2014 when it had the Bakelite Bridgestones still on.

The tyre will be around 7.5 to 8kg

1 Like

https://www.miata.net/faq/tire_weights.html

2 Likes

Hi do you still have these, sorry for late reply I’ve been away in sunny Filey

Hi Trevor hope you had a good time , and yes I still have them

That’s great, I’ll have them if we can arrange delivery please.

Ps I’m in Sheffield