New Mazda 3 or Kia Ceed GT

My Honda Civic Sport Turbo is due for change and I’m considering a new Mazda 3 Sport - X which is 180bhp, my Civic is 185bhp.

I’m also considering a Kia Ceed GT Turbo which is 201bhp.

Does anyone own any of the above? and what are your thoughts please. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Reliability kia all the way puts mazda to shame…

3 Likes

The Mazda 3 is a nice car and if you like driving you will like the steering.

1 Like

Thanks for your thoughts, munch appreciated…

Its going to be a difficult choice, my Honda Civic Sport Turbo drives and handles very well but its had a few problems with the alarm system and air con that have been rectified during the manufacturers warranty period, but the niggles spoil the ownership experience.

I’m drawn towards the Mazda 3 because of my experience with owning MX5’s since 1997 and being trouble free motoring. However the Kia Ceed GT is a well kitted out car and performs well.

Don’t get hung up on power figures. I worked for Mazda, in dealerships, when the car was launched last year. On test drives the common thread was that they had read that there was a new, more powerful engine due out and that they wanted to wait for it because “they were worried about the 130 and that they needed more power.” It was an extensive test route, yet not one person saying that the having more power was important at any time accelerated rapidly or in any came even close to high revs, let alone the red line. It happens quite a lot with MX-5 ownership too. The Skyactive X engine is not intended to be a “GTi” but has sufficient power for most situations on the road. It is a nice drive and a nice place to be, unless you are in the back. If I was having a Kia, I think I would get someone to breath on a Picanto and then have some naughty fun that was unexpected.

1 Like

Try and get a test drive in both. As you will be aware the power delivery will be different as one has a turbo the other doesn’t. But as said above it doesn’t mean they lack power without a turbo. My Mazda2 only has 115bhp and no turbo but is great fun to drive and nowhere near the red line.

It’s how you feel behind the wheel that’s important and also odd as it sounds, imagine both on your drive and which one appeals the most.

2 Likes

Presumably those figures are at or near max revs? How often do you hit the red line?

What are the respective weights of the cars? BHP per tonne might be a better indicator of performance or even the torque values.

As others have said, a test drive in each should reveal which has the driving characteristics and performance you desire