New member - 2.5L MX5 NC

Hi All, I have owned this MX5 NC named Raz for two years, I bought the car as a bit of fun and something I could use on track, she needed a little TLC so I have spent some time fettling it :grinning:.

The original 2.0 engine was suffering from the oil control ring issue so I decided to swap it with a 2.5 I4 from the American Mondeo, with IL manifold, FAB9 Stg1 cams and remap she puts out 212hp and a much wider torque curve (178 ft/lb max). Other mods are MiesterR Zeta CRD’s, Roddison fast road brake pads, de-tangoed lights, clear side repeaters and standard backbox which I have re-arranged the internals myself.

I’m looking forward to being part of the group and would be interested in attending events in Cumbria, Lincolnshire, track days and road trips.

Jack

11 Likes

Excellent Q car Jack. :wink: :japanese_goblin:

1 Like

Sounds like an amazing car!
Welcome to the club, from another Cumbrian NC owner.

1 Like

Thanks Christophe. I’m planning to refurb the rear subframe and body work under the back of the car over winter. I’m based in Barrow

I need to do some touch ups on the paint on mine.
I have waved at a car like yours a couple of times while driving between Barrow and Ulverston, but got no wave back😢.
Dalton here.

I’m usually pretty good at spotting people and waving lol :grinning:

You are more than welcome to come and have look and go out for a spin if you would like.

I’m usually free on Tuesday nights if so

welcome to the club mate.
im also a new member and in lincolnshire. (near grantham)
and i am a new nc2 owner.

that engine change sounds very interesting as it is something i may consider in the future.
tho i really want to supercharge but at a cost of near 6 grand an engine change would be far cheeper and only 50 bhp short of the lowest charger bhp.

anyway welcome to the club

1 Like

Cheers Thibor, I’m usualy in Lincoln at weekends with my family but not always in the MX5. :frowning:

Let me know if you would like any information about the 2.5 swap, there is a US facebook group which gives full details on the swap “NC MX-5 2.5 Club”

I did the swap myself apart from the re-map so happy to help if you have any questions. The nerd in me kept a spreadsheet of costs (sad i know😂) if you want an idea of a cost break down.

1 Like

Cheers Jack, thanks for the offer. I am not sure I would drive someone else’s car to be honest.
Local meets would be nice though.

thanks mate.

a rough idea of the overall cost of swapping the engine would be great please.

as to local meets.
there’s one at lincoln on the 27th.
just check the area page.
i emailed the area admin yesterday to check that it is still on but haven’t heard anything back yet

Thibor - The engine, parts, fluids, remap etc were around £2950, including the cams imported from the US and a second hand IL manifold.

I had a reasonable tool kit but spent an extra £600 on tools.

There are companies on Ebay etc that claim to do the swap for around £2750 but I don’t think they include the manifold, Cams and remap which are all required to make it worth it in my opinion.

Jack

1 Like

so roughly 3 grand plus labor.
that’s still substantially cheaper than a super charger.

thank you I shall think on this over the next few months.

Welcome to the club, sounds like a great car, have fun.

1 Like