New member looking for an MX-5

Hello,

New member here and looking to buy my first MX-5 with a budget of around £4k.

I haven’t learnt all the model numbers/IDs yet, but I’m keen to learn as much about them as possible and what to look out for when purchasing…

Once I’ve found my car I’ll definitely be joining the club and looking forward to attending meets.

Seems I need to post a little before I can Private Message about a car in the For Sale section, so I’ll give a little more info about me…

I own an ultra-low mileage 986 Boxster, which only goes out on sunny days, I don’t put in car parks and SORN over the winter etc… A little restrictive, I know, so I’ve been considering getting another fun car, that I don’t need to worry so much about and can actually enjoy! An MX-5 seems to fit the bill nicely.

1 Like

Welcome! Sounds like a good plan to me :smiley:

Which version were you interested in, from the For Sale section?
NA = Mk1, NB = Mk2, NC = Mk3, ND = Mk4

Cheers,
Steve

Thanks Steve,

I think I’m probably looking at a Mk2 or 3 given my budget. Condition is more important to me than finding a specific version.

There are a couple of low-mileage examples in there that look like they’re in good nick.

1 Like

I should add that I like to do the odd track day, so a 1.8 or 2.0 would be my preference.

I’ve tracked the Boxster, but it’s too good risk really - a couple of recent 986/996 engine failures have spooked me.

Jazzy , welcome and enjoy

Yeah the dreaded IMS bearings eh ?
Used to scare the living daylights out of me when pushing my 996 to the red line :rofl:

Haha, yes, I had the IMS changed for an uprated version so I don’t worry too much about that now. Apparently oil starvation is an issue on track, which can be solved by changing the sump and a couple of other things, but that’s taking it too far for a car I’m trying to keep as original as possible…