New member looking for an NC

Hi all, thought I’d sign up as I’m looking for my first MX5, an NC PRHT ideally.

I’m based in the East Midlands and come from a selection of performance cars, highlights include GR Yaris, Lexus IS-F, Leon Cupra 300, Toyota MR2 amongst many others. I’ve also got a Mazda 3 daily so part of the Mazda family already.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi. Can’t help with NC, but I’d be interested if you have any
thoughts on the Yaris? I’m on the waiting list for one🙃.

just to give you the heads up… the mx5 is really fun car to drive, you think you go a million miles fast when the speedometer is still within legal limits. but… a stock car is not really a performance car - if you know what I mean.

1 Like

Welcome to the Forum and hopefully the MX5 community.
I’ve owned the same NC PRHT since 2013 and used it as a daily for the first 4 years.
Great car for me, although everyone has their own opinion of which MX is the best…:grin:
Check for the usual suspects - Service/MOT records, Rust, Handling etc.
I looked at/drove 3 before buying mine.
Same model but they’re all different when driving👍.

1 Like

They are brilliant, the hype is real, you won’t regret it! I’ve had my fun with mine, had one for 10 months but I rarely keep cars for long.

What spec have you gone for and when do you get it?

Thanks, yes I get what you mean. The GR Yaris has set a high benchmark but its almost too acomplished for the road, encourages me to drive at silly speeds and I’m too chicken to track it hence the MX5 itch! I also had an R53 JCW up until very recently, and that was the perfect amount of power for the road in my opinion - around 200bhp, or 160 bhp/tonne so a modified NC should feel similar.

1 Like

welcome to the forums

i have an NC hardtop sport tech. its a great little car.

there are plenty of tintops around. it all depends on your price range.
if you want something very low milage then your looking at 10 to 12k, which is what i paid (2013 on 31k) and admittedly i am bias here but i think its worth every penny.
however you can get high milage 2015 cars for aslow as 4k

fact is the secondhand car market is overheated atm and mx5s hold their value anyway but that beng said there is a big reason why they hold the value! and that reason is that they are a Fantastic drivers car! and extreamly modable!
get one in good condition and put coil-overs, chassic braces and bump up the horse power and you get youself something that will give way more smiles per mile than a porcshe gtr for a fraction of the price

1 Like

Yes thats the intention! I want to spend £4k-£6k on the base car so I’ve got some change for modifications and rectifying any issues.

Looked at my first NC PRHT today, a 2011 Miyako edition. It did not wear its 46k miles particularly well.

Are all models interior plastics and trim so easily worn? Honestly looked like it had done 3-4x the mileage, I’m not expecting a plush interior but I was hoping it would be at least the same level as my 2009 Mazda 3 (BL)

The condition depends on the owner and how they use or abuse the car.
I’ve seen loads that are in excellent condition and one or two that looks like Stig of the Dump has owned it.
Keep looking and the right one will turn up.
You may have to travel, but it will be well worth it👍🏻.

1 Like

Yes I am keeping an eye out but not restricting to PRHT’s now as head room was a little tight so track days will have to be done with the roof down regardless!

I thought the Miyako would look and feel nice, but its actually less equipped than a regular Sport and has a 5 speed box… did not know that!

Look for a decent Sport Black.
I suppose I’m biased as I have one, but 6 speed, Bilstein Shocks, Slip Diff etc does get you a head start.
All down to budget.

1 Like

Will this be your primary car? If not I can’t imagine why someone would want the hardtop. Extra cash and weight for something that is permanently down whilst driving? It’s also another thing to break on an old car, and an expensive one at that. I didn’t even consider them when I was in the same situation recently.

Of course everyone is different, and if it was to be my primary vehicle (first of all I’d choose something else!) but if I couldn’t then I’d definitely look at the power hardtop.

No it’ll be a second car that sits in the garage other than the occasional blast and very occasional track day. 90% road car that I can work on myself.

if you want a special edition look for a KURO they have all the bells and whistles that the sport tech has plus some extra colour touches here and there!

Hello LiggyL
If you can find one, only around 50 were created for the UK, a Sport Tech Recaro,
which is a Sport Tech Black with the fantastic Recaro seats.
The Sport Tech Recaros were destined to become Jota Mazda specials, however,
I believe only a handful were Jota modified.
Check the internet for Jota info if you wish.
I bought mine from Paul at Roddisons Motorsport in 2017 & I am well pleased with
the car. It would be worthwhile contacting Paul 0114 244 5300.
Regards
Keith

May or may not fit the bill…

1 Like

Hello. I’m sadly selling my NC as I’m having to make room for a Caterham.
It’s in lovely condition, and has less than 33k on the clock. It has the BBR Super200 Conversion, including the Suspension package and a GT Rear Silencer. The work was carried out by Neil at BBRGti last year. Let me know if you are interested and I can send you some more info and some pics.

BBR turbo nc if you are interested

1 Like

After looking at another PRHT today and a lightly modified NC1 tonight I’ve put a deposit on it and hoping to collect on Weds. It’s Vaughan’s car in the for sale section. Drove better and the interior had worn better than the 2011 46k Miyako I looked at yesterday!

Thanks for all the replies and tips, much appreciated.

1 Like