New member, looking for some advice after a turbo build gone wrong!

1. My model of MX-5 is: NBFL Trilogy
  2. I’m based near: Chesterfield
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: turbocharging

Hi. I’m new to the club and tomorrow I’ll be picking up my Trilogy after a long 6 months without it! Back in April I handed my 5 over to someone to have it turbocharged, but the dude turned out to be a bit of a cowboy and the end result was that I needed a new engine after I drove it 10 miles! Turns out that lots of metal filings from drilling into the sump destroyed the engine. Also turns out that the cam belt and tensioner I paid him to replace when I bought the car a year ago hadn’t been changed at all and had gone slack, putting the timing out.
I’ve had a new engine put in and the eBay turbo he slapped on it replaced with a Garrett by a well known and reputable MX5 garage who have been massively helpful and good to me, keeping the cost down as much as possible as I’m not getting a penny back from the other guy, but they don’t do mapping and I’m not sure the map on it is any good. I also noticed that the guy who originally did the build kept the old rad on and I’m pretty sure the coolant re-route hasn’t been done either.
My questions are:
is having the stock radiator and no coolant re-route going to cause any issues? It’s a basic turbo build, definitely no more than 240bhp ( I have serious doubts that it’s anywhere near that figure which he promised me) so the engine hasn’t been built.
I can only assume the other parts like intercooler, clutch, injectors and manifold are also part of the cheap eBay kit he used. I’m not going to be surprised if they break soon but will they do any other damage if they do?
Can anyone recommend somewhere in Derbyshire/South Yorkshire who can look at the map and adjust if needed?

TIA

2 Likes

I’ve had a lot of experience with turbos and they must be water cooled!
Turbo technics in Northampton are a first rate company though I realise they’re a bit too far south for you.

1 Like

I’m not sure paul Roddison does his own tuning or he uses someone else but he is based in Sheffield so not a million miles away. He may know who to suggest.

Google Paul Roddison Motorsport or recovery and you will find his contact information.

1 Like

Paul was the first person I contacted after all the problems. He’s not far away and seemed to have a good reputation. He was reluctant to take on somebody else’s mess though and told me if I wanted a turbo build I should have come to him in the first place. All very well, had I heard of him before. I understand not wanting to sort out the clusterfuk of someone else’s bad work, but found the initial response a bit rude, which has put me off him.

Sorry if I offered you but I don’t have the time to put right other peoples heath robbinsons builds…… usually this ends in me spending far too many hrs labor that ends up costing me as it’s just not possible to invoice at full rate.

I do hope you get it sorted amicably

No offence was taken