New Member old car. replace oil seals Yay or Nay

Yep, £5.98 from MX5 parts:

Power Steering Belt, Aftermarket, MX5 Mk1/2/2.5 Without Air Con

Power Steering Belt, Aftermarket, MX5 Mk1 2 2.5 Without Air Con

1 Like

Please tell me you cleaned that crank up before you fitted the seal, if not I honestly think you are going to have problems.
That rust build up would explain why it was tight going on.

1 Like

Thanks for all the interest and helpful advice, all the info I need from Carl thank you. I did clean the crank, not with anything abrasive though I’ll just have to keep an eye on it @leman. If I do remove the aircon can I remove the other radiator ? A quiet day to-day on the car just had time to change a few rusty fixings around the the radiator while it is out. @Mike_Jones It still sounds as though you are doing a good job Mike

Yes if you don’t think you’re going to ever recommission the aircon you can remove the condensor (rad), drier canister, compressor, all the pipes (you will need some bungs for the firewall) and you can also remove the huge matrix under the dash. Only do this last part if you are looking to lose weight from the car as it doesn’t really do any harm just being there, plus you will need a bi-pass pipe to replace it with. Removing the aircon condensor (rad) improves airflow quite a bit to the radiator but it also means the rad is now more susceptible to stones than it was (but no more than normal UK cars)

@carl_s, Thank you for all the detail on removing the aircon it is very kind to go to so much trouble and detail for me. You have given me a lot to think about, mainly do I want a touring car or more performance. The build up is proceeding ok most cooling bits on and some intake parts. May be able to start it up next week some time :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

The build up went better than I thought, all back together this morning. Plucked up the courage to turn the key after lunch, started on the button but with a big clatter. Turned it off immediately and checked it over, until I remembered that it had done it before after being laid up for a long time. The hydraulic tappets get a bit sticky and clatter. A few start ups and run for a couple of minutes at a time sorted it. It now sounds like it should. Start the body work tomorrow. :anguished:

1 Like

Nice one, Allen. I’m a little behind you, but hoping to get it all back together this weekend…

1 Like

Is that a brand new fan and radiator assembly or has someone done a great clean up job on the old fan?

It’s a new rad, but I cleaned up the fan assembly and painted the fan AA yellow :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Mike, love the finish you have achieved it reflects the work and commitment it takes to reach that standard. Mine is now on 4 stands and the wheels off. Ready for me to crawl under it. Pics to follow soon.

Thanks Allen. Had it almost all back together at the weekend (as you can see), except for the thermostat which was delayed from MX5 Parts. I decided to part fill the radiator only to find that that the water pump inlet pipe was leaking from the elbow joint in the small pipe at the front. I guess the dirt I cleaned off it was what was keeping the coolant in! A little disappointing to have to take the radiator etc. out again. New inlet pipe on order from MX5 Parts. Why are they so expensive!?!

Looks good, those small pipes coming out of the thermostat housing always seem to rust away it’s a common fault. Some people remove the pipe then drill & tap a brass barbed fitting in it’s place (the type you used to find of carbs)

1 Like

Thanks Carl. The thermostat housing is fine, it’s the water pump inlet pipe that’s failed.

Looks amazing, I had to strip it down again after fitting the new water pump inlet pipe. The O ring didn’t seal properly the first time, but then it wouldn’t be an NA if everything went well the first time! Mike the cable laying across the thermostat housing and disappears somewhere around the power steering pump is that connected to something or is it just tucked away. I have the same cable but since the strip down

can’t find anywhere to plug it into.

Hmm, possibly Aircon clutch via gas pressure switch?

Thanks Richard, I’ll look for any thing around the air con. It wont reach that far but there might be another cable looking for a mate.

I’ve just had a closer look at the colour of the cable, Blue with Yellow, it could well be the power steering pressure switch.

1 Like

Hi Allen, yes, it’s for the Power Steering pressure switch that sits on top of the pump. New inlet arrived today from MX5 Parts, so hopefully we’ll be up and running again soon…

Good news all round for you and me :grinning:

1 Like

Just an up date on progress of the body work. I’m surprised at just how good the body work is for a 28 year old car. Mainly surface rust but damage and scrapings from speed bumps. Up to now just one small perforation under the off side wheel arch liner which had been damaged sometime in the past allowing water and grit to collect behind it. The nearside is fine. I have removed the rubber plugs and the inner areas are ok. Just a few photos of the work so far, bearing in mind my aim is to keep the car on the road and to protect it into the future. I can live with an odd welded patch not on view. After the repairs I will waxoil as many inner compartments as I can.