New MX5 owner 20 years in the making!

Hello to all,
I have been a member here for a few weeks now but have been busy reading through all the great stuff, time to participate so here is my MX5 story.

I have been after an MX5 for nigh on 20 years, each time the good lady said no, I revisited every 3 months expecting the same response. It all started when a friend of mine bought a brand new Mk2 1.8 Sport VVT, LSD, 6 speed box version, in 2003, he still has it, 11,000 miles & mint as it has been garaged all its’ life. Anyway I asked again in July 2022, surprisingly the answer was positive, I wondered what the cost would be, holiday abroad, house improvements, etc etc, no clauses were attached so off we go. The hunt was on but I decided to get an early one for less than £5000 maybe, try it out for expectation, then buy a newer one in 12 months time. Well I found an absolute corker for £2995 on Ebay, 6 owners but mint, FSH, 1.8SE, only trouble was it was CAT N, no big deal, it was cheap, sell it on cheap, the write off was because of a damaged wing believe it or not. The car was bought, I drove it back across the Yorkshire Moors to home, hood down, I had done nothing to it except drive as was, it was exhilirating. 12 months down the line I have given it a complete engine service, gearbox service, axle service, brake service has been completed with new discs/pads. I managed to find early on a body colour full hardtop in Ireland, Galaxy Grey, the seller was brilliant to deal with, got that shipped over then fitted for winter, cost was bought & shipped £500, bargain as it also came with a stand. I am over the moon with this little car, it is 17 years old, no rust except for some surface type stuff on suspension components, I am in the process of grinding those back to metal & then rustproofing & waxoyling it all. I used to dabble with car conversions years ago, it was fun, working on this little car is the same, well apart from some seized front drop link bolts that is. It is a keeper as far as I am concerned, why spends £1000s’ more when this little gem puts the smile on my face all the time. Yes it is noisy but by God it is fun. Sorry for the rant, got carried away.

8 Likes

Welcome to the ‘I waited many years for my roadster and now I’ve finally got one’ club! No more gazing wistfully at MX-5s everywhere you go. I hope you have as much fun in yours as I have in mine. :blush:

2 Likes

Great story!. Whatever the milege, age or price, if your car puts a smile on your face every time, then that’s a winner in my book. Hope you have many happy miles and smiles with your MX5!

Thanks, got my welcome pack last week, hopefully get to a meeting soon, nice to be here finally with Justin. That is the name my kids came up with as all MX5 cars have names they said :grinning:

“Where there is a Will there is a Way” :triumph: :persevere: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Got my NB 2.5 1.8 Icon from Car Craft Leeds in 2007 whilst living in Keighley re-locating to Whitby

You can’t beat an MX-5 across the Yorkshire Moors :grin:

But I could be a bit biased :innocent:

And please advise your good lady from a female owner of an MX-5 she’s made the right decision :rofl: :wink:

Enjoy

Well Justin flew through the MOT this morning, no advisories, for £27 we have another 12 months grin time. Only thing to look after is the front brake hoses are a bit crusty, time for new ones soon.

1 Like

“for £27 we have another 12 months grin time”

Confirm - this the cost of the MOT Exam…[Paying £40-45 in West Mids] :open_mouth:

Yes, £27, the garage I use do not do any MOT repairs, mostly wheel alignment. So for £27 booked online I get a non biased but safety related MOT, they also happen to be nice decent people.

‘Non biased but safety related MOT’

Forgive me as not au fait with on-line stuff and modern world enuf

You got an MOT Cert on-line. Did they have an MOT Drivers & Vehicles Standards Agency Test Station Number etc ?
I’m assuming Justin was physically put through a test…you just didn’t chat on line to the ‘nice decent people’ and they issued you an MOT

:open_mouth: :face_with_spiral_eyes: :worried:

Sorry, the MOT was booked online but the car went through a physical MOT test. :joy: They do not do repairs so are not failing stuff for the sake of making money.

:relieved: :cry:
Miss living in Yorkshire so much :broken_heart:

Kindest to you & Justin :smile:

M O T 's down here in the south east £45 00. or £50,00. Depends where you go.

Or “half-price” £27.45 when done at the same time as a dealer service.