New mx5 owner looking for old owner

Hi guys new mx5 owner here just thought I would say hello. I purchased my 30th anniversary edition as a category N insurance write off and was looking to potentially find out some info on the car so I was hoping the previous owner was on here or if someone knows them then please give me a message. For the whole life of the car it was on a private reg R7MXF but is now on WH69HPZ.
Any details would be great

Pretty sure I looked at that very car back in January, how are the repairs going?
And have you been able to find a side panel/skirt?

At South Wales Car Festival, Chepstow apparently.

Ah cool yes repairs are all done managed to get all the parts quite easily had to get the skirt from Europe but I’ve got quite a good relationship with the local Mazda dealer.

3 Likes

Also came pre painted which was a bonus

1 Like

That’s cool I would love to know some more details about how the car got written off and what it has had done to it. It’s got BBR manifold, kakimoto rear silencer, panel filter, air intake pipe and lowering springs that I know about. Just like to know what tune it has and whether it has cams or not

Looks lovely, same grille I have on my ND and would have put on it if I had got it
Out of curiosity what was the full list of damage, I wasn’t sure if the bonnet catch itself was damaged?

Just had a thought, what number is it and is it listed here, might make the search easier:

Turns out it did need a hinge and bonnet which I thought looked ok at first but bonnet had been shoved backwards breaking the hinge and putting a nice kink in the bonnet but surprisingly with trade discount it wasn’t that bad for all the parts. Basically the whole front bumper assembly(no active bonnet at the moment) nearside front wing, nearside skirt, rear bumper. What was the hardest part was getting everything for the front bumper without having the old one to see what we needed. Also needed a condenser as the slam panel had put a big dent in it but still held pressure but took 20 minutes to change with the front end off so changed it anyway.

Will have a look I can’t remember what number it is now but that’s a good shout

Number 1840

0222 RF

Hello there, just signed up after recieving an MOT reminder for my #1840 MX-5 I owned and Google searched the numberplate and your thread came up!

Happy to help with any info you need, I sadly had an accident in this in October 2022. The insurance company decided it was too expensive to fix as prices were really high at the time of the accident I ended up getting 1k more than I bought it for brand new so I obviously took the money. Albeit, still reluctantly!

All it was from what they told me was the skirts, bumper, front bumper, bonnet and the bent slam panel. They decided it would be too expensive to fix even though visually it wasn’t too bad at all! I was devastated. The last time I saw it it had the front bumper fully intact, it was damaged however on the top as a piece of wood had pierced through which bent the slam panel. I still have pics of the accident if you would like to see them.

To see it fixed however is fantastic! I was devastated seeing it damaged when I last saw it. It lives on digitally in Gran Turismo 7 alongside my new project and my previous to the MX-5.

Had you had been given the front bumper, you would have seen the BBR GTI sticker, it has the Super 220 Package! I believe I still have the receipt for this conversion. The car is putting out at least 217hp on premium unleaded.

I also still have the original mats for you if you want them and also the original Mazda handbook folio. No charge! The mats were removed from the car as I kept it mainly as a weekend/show car so they are in as new condition.

Any questions, please get in touch. I also have a bunch of parts for this car if you are interested in them, including a lovely set of SSR GTX04 wheels I specially had custom imported for it from Japan. Obviously the wheels never made it onto the car. The plan was to have a gripper set of tyres as the stock tires were always a concern of mine with that amount of power, I was sadly proven right. I even have the retention certificate for the numberplate somewhere, I would need to dig that out but the intention is to sell that on. It was a play on ‘RF MX5’

Many thanks,
P. (Ian)

2 Likes

Hey man
I had given up hope in finding you.
Pretty cool to hear from you.
To be honest it’s not surprising that it got written off as the costs did spiral a little more than anticipated and it still doesn’t have the silly pedestrian active bonnet fixed but I’m happy with that.
We managed to straighten the slam panel by hand as it was so flimsy. Needed front and rear bumper side skirt bonnet and hinge and a wing as it had peeled it back off the mounting points.
I’d love to see the pictures if you don’t mind.
As soon as I saw it on the auction I knew it wasn’t standard and they hadn’t noticed so I put a deposit on it straight away.
I knew it was definitely faster than it should be but couldn’t be sure it had the 220 kit on it I guessed it was just the 200.
I had it dynoed and it was 206hp so pretty happy.
Hell yeah I’d love the mats and everything you have would be a dream.
Send me over some pictures of the wheels and I’ll see what I think
Also looking into private plates for it so let me know what you want for it.
Glad you got in touch

Fantastic pics and really odd you have it next to an S2K! I took lots next to my friend’s S2K as well!

I’m going to have to post pics individually as being a new member I can only post one at a time so please bear with me and apologies in advance.

I used to live Kent way (Orpington) and plan a trip back at some point so can arrange delivery of various bits and pieces, all the standard stuff I’ll drop in to you. I’ll get a list of other bits together for you I still have and post them here.

If you do need me though on Facebook it’s Porthos Musketeer. From there we can PM and arrange something. I don’t think here you can private message? My cover photo on Facebook includes #1840.

The car is also obviously on Eibach Lowering springs, fitted by Mazda at the Mazda dealership down here in Devon from new.

Will be amazing to see it again in person.

Haha that would explain the mud underneath

2 Likes