New ND Tyres

Hi All,

I picked up my ND 3 weeks ago and have hardly had a chance to drive it due to the bad weather and work commitments but I felt that the suspension felt harsher than I had been led to believe from reviews and from members observations, so harsh that I was beginning to wonder if I had picked the wrong car in the 2.0L version. I decided to order a tyre pressure gauge from A*****n to see if that might be affecting the ride.

Suffice to say that all the tyres were over inflated, from front left going clockwise the readings were , 33, 35, 32, 35 PSI, I let them all down to the recommended 29PSI and went for a drive through Nottingham, it was an incredible difference, smooth with a lovely feeling through the wheel, all harshness gone , quieter too-it just felt brilliant !

Nottingham Mazda have been ok thus far and I cannot complain about the deal I got on the car but such a daft thing to do, maybe the gauge on their air pumps are faulty?

I would say to all new owners to get an accurate gauge as it makes a huge difference!

This happens very regularly all over the uk and all other countries as well, although it obviously should not.

Checking the tyre pressures is part of the pre inspection ( PDI )  which all dealers sign that they have undertaken prior to the delivery of the vehicle to the customer

It is rarely done due to laziness of main dealers, no other reason at all

Mine were all set at 36 psi

When I discovered their error I insisted that they went through the whole PDI point by point

with me watching in the workshop

It took 25 minutes for the service manager to complete

Thats the main reason it is rarely done!

Glad you are ok now

Mine was exactly the same as the OP’s when I picked it up.

MX5’s are very sensitive to variations in tyre pressure. It really is worth checking them regularly and maintaining the recommended pressure.

Out of interest were the rubber bungs around the area of the back of the doors in the flat area underneath the car next to the sills. They usually do not check that either.

The few MK4 cars I have had on my lift either have not had them fitted or if they had it was because the owner demanded that they were checked prior to delivery.

My car was a dealer display car (but not a demonstrator) pre-reg at 30th September 2017 that I bought at a significant discount in late November (a Black Friday weekend offer, would you believe). It was a bit unclear as to when the PDI had actually been done (there were only 5 miles on the clock) but the tyre pressures were certainly correct. However I found the black rubber bungs referred to by Drumtochty in an unopened clear plastic bag inside the boot - yet the markings on the bag make it very clear that they are supposed to be installed and where. I had to take the car back to the dealer to be properly valeted and polished anyway so I asked why they had not been installed. Dissatisfied with the assertion that it really didn’t matter, I insisted that they be fitted regardless (otherwise why would Mazda bother to send them with the car?).

So having read the comments by 1Dick and Drumtochty I now find myself wondering (1) whether the rest of the PDI was done properly if at all and (2) whether the bungs were actually installed after all…!

Here’s hoping…

Hi s,

For point 2 just have a look under the sill below the door handles on both sides and have a look for yourself. A mirror may help.

Hi 

can you please describe shape and approx size of what to look for? My car only had 3 miles on clock when picked up, I had told them not to clean it etc as I would be getting done myself, so doubt it had pdi carried out.

Thank you

First picture in the linked thread:

http://mx5scotland.co.uk/board2/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14302&p=96059#p96059

Just checked, surprised to find them in place, thank you Ian