New ND3 Revealed

Any hint of it being mild hybrid?

The NC is a tight enough fit through a normal 7’ garage door that I wouldn’t fancy the extra 15mm of the ND. Car width is a big problem now - the mamufacturers all seem to think we live in the US.

1 Like

Most people I know don’t use their garages for their cars due to the width. More often than not they’re used for storage or converted into an extra room. I don’t have a problem getting my ND in the garage and being a soft top I wouldn’t want to leave it outside.

If 15mm is enough to put you off driving through a 7 foot gap it may possibly raises some other questions!
:heart:

2 Likes

It’s the straw that breaks the camel’s back, Malc.

I see some new houses have 7’6" wide doors, and the doors are also much taller. You can get most SUVs into them (I got a Jimny into my mother’s garage, and Jimnys are taller than most SUVs or crossovers). Obviously no-one bothers.

Beware though anyone that buys a new car with these lovely led headlamps, if one goes wrong instead of simply replacing a bulb oftentimes the whole unit requires replacement.

We have suzuki swifts as regular day to day cars with regular bulbs, but if we had the led headlights it would be around 650 pounds for a whole (single) unit if one part of it went wrong.

On a 7ft door you have 215mm clearance with the ND which is a big margin. (say 8.5 inches)
There is no way that 15mm should make you so ‘fearful’. If it does then that is one hell of a large piece of ‘straw’!!
If it is such an issue you can even fold the mirrors in to gain an additional 183mm which gives you a hole that you should be able to drive through confidently at 10 miles an hour never mind at parking pace!!!
:hearts:

1 Like

As part of my job I used to have to subtract the area of an integral garage from the living space for various calculations.
When I retired in 2022 new house single integral garages were still the same width as they were when I started in 1988. They seem to exist mainly to satisfy planning requirements for two parking spaces.

The hybrid 2 is a Yaris with a different front bumper. Even the sat nav is Toyota, so it probably works better than the stand 2! Even more intriguing is the fact that both companies are working on battery tech together, and Mazda have switched their in house finance from Santander to Toyota.

My ND fits in one of my garages no problem as does my focus estate and a BMW X1 we had before that! Aren’t any bigger than standard either.

Mind you I think I am the only person I know who uses their garage for a car let alone both their garages !!:joy:

Nope, still don’t like it.

Im afraid all these electronic driving aids, which are now on most modern cars, puts me off buying one. My wife’s Skoda Kodiaq has front radar system and frankly in many cases its dangerous. My parents have a steep drive way and the vehicle detects this as a wall and slams the brakes on. This almost caused a car following to collide with the back of it as it was unexpected. It often gets upset on motorways if it thinks you are following to close to the vehicle in front. I don’t want an eight inch infotainment system to distract me when driving. The nine mile an our reversing limit may equily upset my Jay turns. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Some of the new Mazdas have a camera watching the driver’s face for signs of tiredness :grin:

Aside from your basic abs and traction control I don’t want anything that can interfere or intervene with acceleration, braking or steering thanks. In my opinion they’re ruining cars with a lot of this junk.

2 Likes

Maybe, I’m not sure how much of it is enforced by safety regs of various markets Mazda operate in.

The amount of abbreviations is getting silly though, eg:

AFS, HBC, ALH, DAA, LAS, BSM, HLA, MRCC, RVM, LDWS, ESS, FOW, ABS, EBD, DSC, TCS, KPC

Theres a whole suite of sensors, emitters, cameras, warning lights, and alarm bells. The level of tech is impressive. I wonder how long before you need a RIO.

My Caterhams had no ABS, PAS , ASC , TCS but only had one acronym - FFS. It was what the driver said after applying too much power in the wet . Standard fitting since 1957 .

2 Likes

I just want a basic sports car that you can drive . Not full of thing you don’t need or use… Just to push up the price of a new car.

1 Like

Just a pic of the new interior with white/silver trim Recaros.

1 Like

Yep. The ND1 1.5 is the lightest and so far, for me, the best. Since then the ‘improvements’ have mostly added distraction, complexity and a bit of weight. But the steering is a bit dead and now seems slightly less precise with the second set of Yokohamas.

I do tend to choke on my cup of tea when I see another YouTube brat singing the praises of the wonderful feedback and weighting of ND steering , Presumably they do it because every other presenter who has never experienced decent steering has said the same thing - and my £10 says they’ve never driven a Lotus or Caterham , or even an old MG Midget or Mini. (not MINI ) .

The steering is inoffensive , reasonably high geared but too light and almost devoid of meaningful feedback .