New owner of an Old Mx-5 Mk1 94 - sell or Fix and Keep - Advice please!

I have been given an old Mx-5 1.8 M Reg after a close relative died.
Although mechanically sound as well as having new Cambelt, front sills and new battery, it is not water-tight and upholstery is poor now. It’s done less than 100,000, but needs attention.
Following the rain - and without a garage - it’s evident the roof/fitings need repairing. (pools of water and wet seats)
In a fit of pique I offered it for sale - for £500 and was inundated by people. just about to release it the weekend!
Will it become a money pit ? - or what am I looking at to get the roof repaired, rear sills etc - or should i hand it on to someone who has the time and money - Advice from anyone who has gone through this much appreciated. On the one hand, I’d like shot of it - but equally it would be a fitting reminder of a dear relation to have it restored - and it’s fun to drive.
The engine is fine, and no major MOT issues.

Hi Andy, £500 spent would get a new roof fitted and a set of 2nd hand seats. The drain holes for the roof and possibly the rain rail around the back of the hood might need checking too asa source of water leaks. You (in theory) then have a useable car for that sum. Money pit? Well they all are really!

Barrie

Just noticed you mentioned rear sills too! Might be quite expensive to rectify

I sold a perfectly good but old hood from a Mk2 for £100 complete on frame, heated glass screen. So if you can pick up similar it gives you an idea. Budget to replace the rain rail too. Seats can be had cheaply£60-£100 the pair and also carpet SH.
It’s the rusty bits that will cost, welding etc so think hard about that and if you need to pay to have it done.
Tyres, perishables like bushes well they all add up to get that MOT ticket.

1 Like

Thanks for all the replies - I think I will probably take it for one last spin when the sun is out…

Then hand on to someone with the time and money who can pick up a bargain :frowning_face:

I think you have made the most intelligent decision frankly.
Unless “The Marque”…especially the Mk1…is.in your brain’s DNA…I think you could end up resenting the thing. It owes you nowt right now…probably best to keep it that way and let someone else who is a dedicated Mk1 certified nutter ( eg me) crack on.

2 Likes