New potential owner looking for advice

I need some advice. I’m currently a Caterham 7 owner and whilst I love the driving experience of the 7 and understand an MX5 will never be able to replicate that, I’m frustrated by the 7 because of the limited number of times I can take her out due to the ■■■■ English weather. I’m therefore looking to buy an MX5 as my fast road daily with the occasional track day. I’ve decided on an 2.0L NC and between the dates of 2009-2012 as my budget is probably £10k max. for car plus mods.
So, my two questions are: (1) I want either to get the BBR 200 or a supercharger, add the Meister coil-overs and uprate the brakes (probably just pads). Do I get a cheaper car and add the mods myself, or wait for a car with those mods (mostly) already done ? ; (2) Is there any way to either remove the power steering or reduce it’s effect as I like to feel the road as much as possible and feel the NC’s steering is a little over weighted ? ; (3) Sorry, a quick third question. Is there a smaller Momo-type steering wheel I can substitute for the normal one and still utilise the electronic bits on the wheel ?
Now, at this stage I’ve only taken a couple of MX5’s out and whilst I like the car in general I’m happy for any advice from someone who can see where I’m coming from and maybe has gone through the same experience. Thanks

1 Like

Hi Mike,

There are plenty of ex Caterham owners on here that will be able to give you their own take on the transition.

Personally I came from a Superlight R and have had both ND1 and ND2 2litre cars. I have not done any performance modifications trying to replicate the Caterham as I felt I would be always chasing my tail.

Instead I accept the limitations of the standard car and just enjoy the convenience and comfort that comes with the 5 and have never looked back.
:heart:

3 Likes

I’ve had a couple of Westfield’s and a Caterham, I’ve now got a 2006 NC Sport and I really enjoy it.
Main things are find a good car with minimal rust!
Then fit the meister r ( although I just fitted eibach springs ), it transforms the car and makes a massive difference.
You will also need a sports exhaust.
Once the suspension has been setup properly you will find the steering much better with good feedback (not quite as good as a Caterham) , but still very good and better than the later ND cars.
I fitted new brembo brakes and pads ( just standard ) with good quality pagid fluid, my brakes are more than up to road use.
I also thought about the BBR 200 but have enjoyed the car more than I ever thought I would with just the standard engine.
Cheers Das

2 Likes

I had a Caterham 150 roadsport, decided to get rid of it after 11 years,mostly because of the state of the roads near me, I now have an ND1 RF, there aren’t many times I miss the Caterham if I’m honest, the MX5 is 95% of the fun of the Caterham but is more usable all the time, if you are tracking the car it would probably be a different story, the only time I do miss it is on some of the alpine roads when the surface is almost perfect and the hairpins just keep coming :grin: :grin:

3 Likes

Some really great points guys, so thanks for that. By the sounds of it, it may be better for me to find a good, clean car first, add the coil-overs which I think is probably necessary for my style of driving but then see how I get on and then add stuff as I think I may need it.
Good to see some ex-Caterham guys feeling the change to an MX5 as a positive, rather than negative experience. Great stuff…

2 Likes

I fitted the Eibach lowering springs, mostly for the look :grinning: I never had a problem with the factory set up, but it used to look a bit high for my taste, I do think the new springs make the car feel a bit more sporty and has reduced the body roll by quite a lot.

2 Likes

The NC is the heaviest of all the MX5s. Its the MX5 least like a Caterham.

NA offers basically free motoring and very cheap hop ups. NB has similar hop ups, and is probably under valued (I think for not much longer); get a good one, and its a very good car. NC; there are warnings about the MZR engine (somewhat attended to post-2008), but rust is appearing now on most years. Tuning parts are more expensive than the NA/NB cars and the additional electronic complexities don’t add that much benefit (eg NC electric PAS versus NB RPM-sensitive hydraulic PAS.

Prices for NCs at that age range from about £4000 to £14,000. So £4000 will get you the cheapest NC (scrutinise the MOT history; a few will have corrosion advisories or have actually had welding done (with the complication that plastic sills hide a lot), probably one of the nicest NBs and a pretty solid, ready to go NA.

While these cars are called MX5s, they really are all different. So each offers a different driving experience. The ND is nearly the same weight as some NBs. If you are considering 2012 NCs, I suspect early NDs will come into budget. I don’t think the 1.5 ND had the same gearbox issues as the rushed 2.0 ND.

Thanks for that. It’s obviously a little more complex a concept than I thought. I’ll have to try out some of the NA & NB’s to compare. :+1:

My 2006 NC definitely has Hydraulic Assist Power Steering, I think you are getting confused with the ND?

No, I mixed up the DSW on the NC. NC has dulling drive by wire, hence the numerous delete kits out there. The principle remains; the NA and NB represent a more direct, visceral approach to driving. It doesn’t suit everyone.

1 Like

The learned people of this forum have all provided some sage advice and pertinent opinions.

My advice…go and drive as many different models and derivatives as you can. When you find the one which most suits your needs/desires, then buy the best example of that specific model you can find within your budget.

Personally, I prioritised the absence of rust above all other things - my car has no A/C, no LSD, no ESP or TC but, it does have ABS and a very solid body/chassis - the bonus was a soft-top in really good condition, too.

I did have to compromise on some things…it’s a 1.8L (5-speed) not a 2.0L and A/C would be desirable…as would be a LSD. However, engine and chassis upgrades are cheaper, less hassle and less worrying than trying to sort out a rusty MX-5.

I have previously owned a NB 1.8 VT Sport which I liked very much. However, I wouldn’t swap my current NC for it. Just a personal preference.

Go and drive a few and tell us what you think.

I came from a Caterham (albeit more than 20 years ago!) it was a Roadsport with a 1.4 K series engine breathed on by Caterham to approx 140bhp at nearly 8k revs and little torque!!
I went to an NA rust free as only a couple of years old, followed by another NA and then 2 NC’s, first one a 2.0 Sport and currently a 2.0 SportTec…
Obviously I’ve got older by 20 odd years and tastes change. However I prefer the current NC3.5 to any of the earlier cars (that goes for a Boxter 2.7 too)
The NC feels like a much more rigid platform.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback. Very useful…I’m probably older than you however but I’m certainly leaning towards the NC, though I will try the others too for comparison…

Ive an NC with BBR conversion.
Its the only mx5 ive owned but it is awesome.
300 bhp of pure fun…!
Track day beast or pootling around town.
You wont be dissapointed.

2 Likes

The best thing to do with these cars is try them when you get the chance to honestly. I was leaning towards an ND when I was first looking at an mx5 as my ‘only’ car with it being the most modern, but after back to back drives with an ND and a NC3 I preferred the NC for its hydraulic assisted steering and just feeling a little more solid inside ( although prht Vs a normal nd)

You’ll have more roll than the caterham but nothing that can’t be rectified with a good set of coilovers / springs or anti roll bars should it not be to your taste

4 Likes

:+1: Thanks

2 Likes

personally id look for a supercharged car and then do the other mods myself!

Hi

I have a 2010 Sport Tech that I took to BBR in feb last year. I had the Super 200 upgrade and the complete GT exhaust. For me it’s great and I love the car, I really do. It’s just so much fun. For now I’m leaving the suspension as it is as it’s a daily driver. I came from a really nice NA that I intended to keep when I bought the NC but within minutes of driving it I realised it’s all the MX I need, so I sold the NA. Despite being 13 years old it’s been totally reliable, nor has the BBR upgrade been an issue.
Nick

1 Like

It’s usually the case that a car with the mods done will be cheaper than getting them done yourself - but the biggest issue is rust and I’d prioritise a good clean car (original or properly fixed) than a rusty one with the mods…

I’ve had a Boxster S (3.2) in the past and swapped it for an NA - the NA is softer in suspension, and not as powerful, but at least as much find to drive, as the aim is to keep the speed and place it well. And despite the body roll it’s grippy and precise and great fun.

I also have a Caterham Superlight R. It’s currently in the garage having carbon bits made and bolted on, just because, and had its steering set up recently for better control and feel. On roads in France it’s been epic, and I’ve had some great days out in it here. But it’s buffety, a pain over 60 (though quick to get there), I have to drive it with either race boots or barefoot as my shoes don’t fit into the pedal box, it tends to burn my leg if the heating is on, and I’m becoming less convinced that the few days a year I can use it are worthwhile. And then I drive it and fall in love again. I’m glad it’s depreciation proof, as I’ve probably trailered it almost as much as I’ve driven it.

I think the Boxster and MX5 are more comparable - one is more powerful, the other more adjustable. The Caterham is raw, visceral, exciting, and unusable day to day. You can push on in the MX5, or you can pootle around town. You are only ever running around with your pants on fire in a Caterham.

As for A/B/C/D - I drove a C and liked it, but it was too refined and 'car’ish for me. I wanted a more basic sportscar experience, which the NA gives in spades. Mind you, I like the look of the orange ND’s…

As people say, drive a few and see - they are quite different (think TDi Golf Mk4 compared GTI mark 5 - both Golfs, but different experiences). I love my NA, and it’s a lot cheaper to run than the Boxster!

p.s. if you’re in Shropshire, you’re welcome to try mine (it currently needs a cam angle sensor, but when back on the road…)

1 Like

Thanks for that info. Really interesting. I’m going to take a look and try an NB tomorrow (Tues), so I’m gradually going to go through the various marques and see which one I prefer. But I do get the impression that getting a clean, rust free model is probably more important than I first realised, so that’s really useful. It’s great to see this forum is as active and full of the same sort of considerate and helpful members as the Seven club. Most impressive. Thanks to everyone…

1 Like