New Stereo Recommendations

1. My model of MX-5 is: MK3 NC2
  2. I’m based near: Nottingham
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: I do a lot of miles, and as such I use my Stereo a lot. I recently used my dad’s Car which has an Apple CarPlay Stereo system. I loved it! And I can’t see myself going without Apple CarPlay now.
    After looking for an Apple CarPlay enabled Stereo online I saw loads of different systems that look like they would do the trick. But I’m going to be honest, when it comes to Car Stereo systems I don’t have a clue.
    Does anyone have any recommendations for a reasonably priced Apple CarPlay Stereo system for my MX5 MK3 NC2? Some has surely had to install one in their Car.

Put a KENWOOD DMX8019DABS with reverse camera in my 3.75 2013 a couple of years ago now.
Current model is the DMX8020DABS I believe.
Perfect for us with our iPhones.
Whatever brand you choose go for the automatic Wi-Fi connection for your phone.
Ultimately, will be down to your budget I suspect.
Choose whatever make/model you like the look of and suits your needs for now and perhaps the future. :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I fitted an Eonon Q04Pro to my mk3 ( It will fit a mk3.5 with the correct facia plate )
Handsfree calling
Bluetooth streaming from phone
Wireless and wired Android Auto
Wireless and wired Apple Carplay
DAB radio
Music played from USB stick or SD card
Reverse camera
4 x pre-outs for feeding the Bose amp if you have a Bose system
Normal speaker output if you don’t have Bose.

Less than £300 all in ( Head unit, camera, DAB dongle, Facia plate, steering wheel control adaptor & wiring adaptor )

1 Like

This looks like a great setup! Sounds like it’s all in my budget to. I’ll take a look thank you!

There is another added benefit if you also buy a bluetooth OBD dongle.( appx £7 )
The “Torque” app in the head unit can act as a fault code reader and also show live data from the ecu on the screen

2 Likes

I like that :sunglasses:

Hey bud,

It’s probably not what your looking for, but I installed the Connects2 Bluetooth adapter to the existing head unit. Plug and play to install. Plugs directly in the back of the existing unit. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201310999342?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=1eKRdVSDTq6&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=g-tbc1_5tgi&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Also purchased a magnetic cd mount and have Spotify streaming through the system or live stream from internet radio if needed. It’s pretty good as I can glance at Google maps at the same time.

Lately I have been thinking about how I can improve the overall sound quality. Is it simply finding better quality speakers, or does it require a whole overhaul of the existing system?

Think of an audio system as being like a chain. It is only as strong (ie as good) as the weakest link.

Good listening environment, good speakers (in good cabinets - but a car door, really?), good connections, good wires, good amp, good audio source material (with good bandwidth, bit rate, etc), they all matter.

No need to go over the top on anything if something else in the chain continues to let it down.

But don’t let anyone (including me) stop you having fun playing with upgrades, merely consider what needs fixing first and look for the best improvement/cost ratio.

Always, always be careful with wiring.

3 Likes

RichardFX’s posts is very true. In addition to that, speakers are usually the part of the chain that make the biggest difference. And in the case of cars the cabinet also plays an important role as it usually really is mediocre at best. Luckily it’s relatively easy to make a big leap with a limited investment.

To start with the cabinet thing, get 3 self-adhesive dampening matts per door. Take of the plastic cover behind the door card. Maneuvre 2 matts through the inner part of the door, through the holes and stick them to the inside of the outer side of the door (I hope you understand what I mean, English is not my native language :wink: ). Use the other matt for cutting up and covering up as many hole on the inner side of the door and maybe a bit on the plastic cover to reduce resonating (not sure anymore what I did but probably that). Now your “cabinet” has improved from very bad to sufficient (there still is room for improvement by using more matts but more work ánd more weight while there’s less improvement to be made). This will already make a huge improvement to the sound, particularly bass. Not so much as more but better in terms of quality.

As for speakers, I thorougly recommend switching to 8" speakers if you don’t already have that (I believe no Bose = no 8" but the weird 6x4" format). This greatly improves your choice for speakers. I have a set of Audison AP1 speakers and really love those. The only catch is you perhaps have to make some custom speaker rings for them (I did it with wood and some black paint). A bit of work but nothing too complicated. And otherwise there might be off the shelve speaker rings for MX5 NC’s.

And if you really don’t mind doing a bit extra, you could get a small class-d amplifier, there are many that do not require additional power wiring with a special ISO adapter.

The above is essentially my setup. Costed some time but not that much (really enjoyed it actually). And the sound in my car is now better than many factory optional systems that cost multiple times of what I have payed. And if you really want to spend as little time as possible on this, get a different head unit and better 6x4 speakers and be done with it.

Just had the Sony XAV-AX5650 fit in my mk 3 2009 , the sound coming through the Bose system is absolutely amazing , instruments I’d never heard before on some 50s/60s music. It couples up with my apple iPhone 11pro in seconds via blue tooth. However I find I have to use the usb to get apps ,maps , Spotify etc , are there any tech boffins out there who can advise on car play for getting all through blue tooth or am I expecting too much from the system, Chris

Android auto and Apple carplay both use too much data for just bluetooth.

You normally have to use bluetooth and wireless connection to the head unit to make them work wirelessly.

Does the Sony support wireless carplay ?

Thanks for you’re reply, I’m happy going along with you’re information , whatever the connection it’s a great piece of kit, still working my way round it and enjoying what I’m finding . Many thanks , Chris

I don’t know that much about carplay but you’d either have to get a head unit that supports wireless car play or get a wireless adapter, they are sold but make sure your head unit is supported and search to see if you can find any experiences of people with that adapter and the same head unit as you have.

I use a Brodit active holder in my NC to hold the phone and allow USB android Auto.
Works very well.

I tried wireless Android Auto but I found it to use the phone battery much faster.
By using USB Android Auto - at least the phone is charging when using the function.

1 Like