New Supercharger Kit for Mk3's from BBR?

1. My model of MX-5 is: NC2
  2. I’m based near: Lymington
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Is this a new kit from BBR?

I’m keen to go down either the Supercharger or ITB route. Is this new news?

It’s old news, I think they have discontinued it, if you try and buy it will say,

“NOT FOUND The page you were looking for does not exist”

You’re looking at £4500 for the ITB and that’s just to take it to 225hp and and revving the engine to 4000rpm before it makes decent torque.

There’s better cars out there for power, I came to realise if you wanted something quick the MX5 is a dead end unless you want to spend the potential value of the whole car on tuning the engine.

5 Likes

corten miller still do a supercharger for the NC its about 5 and a half grand for stage 1 which bumps you up by 100 hp
stage 2 is an extra grand and will bump it another 100hp

Corten Miller might advertise as offering one but try getting a coherent response from them if you dare :joy:

I’ve been chasing them for over 12 months to absolutely NO AVAIL…
I’ve given up. .

1 Like

I spoke to cortenmiller some weeks ago and they are having supply issues.
I was told they should resume fitting sometime in the summer!

1 Like

Can’t help you with supercharger info for NC, sorry. I have just put a little old one on my NA and love it, partly because it suits an older car. Only 155hp, but Just Nice in an NA.

However, I have had two BBR NCs, one of which was a normally aspirated 200hp and the present one is a 300hp turbo.

The 300 turbo might be too much for a road car. It’s very refined (well done, BBR) and you only realise how quickly you’re going on an empty road when you look at the speedo. This is not me being a wimp, as I’m used to sprinting a 400hp car.

The 200 n/a makes excellent noises and although power only goes up by 25% it also fills in the torque dip fully, so everything feels and sounds at least 50% better.

In hindsight, I preferred the 200. It is so close to being Just Nice in an NC that I prefer it to the 300, and would probably never feel the need to add the ITBs for 225.

2 Likes

Going by todays announcement from BBR, it looks like they were bull$hitting you perhaps ?
AND the price has rocketed too :roll_eyes:

Very well spotted there Greg

I hear on the streets that BBR are doing the CM supercharger kits, I tried doing a deal on several occasions with CM but they declined as my car is used on track……
Be interesting to see what warranty BBR offer as they do not warranty track work on their turbo kits.

Just do your homework peeps

Homework :~ BBR Supercharger Upgrades - Over 300 BHP available for Mazda MX-5 / Mi

Says 12 months but having spoken to you in the past about the Turbo (non) warranty thing in the past, I’d be inclined to say no, they wouldn’t offer any kind of track warranty. Believe in your product - perhaps not…I’d be pretty miffed to shell out 6 or 7 large just to gain bragging rights down the boozer… .:weary::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

So it was new news!!!
You heard it here first, folks :smiley:

2 Likes

I do wonder whether after a certain point one can say that’s too much power / questionable reliability in an mx5 and an M3 /M4 or boxter/cayman would make better sense?

4 Likes

I’m guessing that if the Boxster/Cayman/M3/M4 went Pete Tong in use, it’d be a darn sight more expensive to rectify than a “l’il ole” MX-5, on virtually ANY level. What say you ?

2 Likes

I wasn’t contemplating of binnage on track more like comparing the costs of having a toy that works versus constant rebuilding fixing modified /blown engines (parts and workshop time (I guess cheaper if you are doing it yourself)

An mx5 is definitely cheap to run and will tolerate some abuse, but them duratec engines are not buletproof when pushed hard.

I recently sold my 66 plate Merc C43 and replaced it with Tizzy. Why? I have far more fun in Tizzy. I just “go for a drive” whereas while my C43 was a super mile muncher, it never really put a smile on my face. I realised it was a lot of money tied up in unused metal and there was nothing I could tinker with, bar fitting some new mats and a luggage net.

However, I’m still struggling with the thought of spending £6k on the extra power.

1 Like

I’m definitely staying away from boosted engines… I really don’t need the complexity.

I already have the full BBR exhaust system and the only additional mods I’d consider doing are the cams - that would cost me an additional 1k?

Individual throttle bodies would help with response and improve part throttle efficiency but wouldn’t increase power. I think that’s a 4k mod?

1 Like

Ah, but the sound, my lord! Consider the sound!

I’d strongly suspect that the improvement in driving experience from that lovely intake soundtrack would heavily offset any lower overall performance to the extent that it would be the better choice over forced induction and a faster car. Very personal, obvs.

1 Like

Just found this and it may wet the lips of some NC owners here… :slight_smile:

Rob

1 Like

Very tasty indeed! I’m impressed that the stage 1 tune will extract 250 ponies from the 1.8 as well as the 2.0, but 300 is quite the impressive output. :drooling_face: