New to the fold. Sort of

The way to do it properly is to dismantle the area behind the seats and sort it out.
Being lazy, I have taken the easy way out, which is to stuff some aquarium filter foam up the the end of the tubes.
Is yours a ragtop or tin top??
The ragtops are more prone to debris in the tubes and need cleaning out from time to time.
This is generally done with a trombone cleaning brush inserted from the top and pulled right through from the bottom .
If you pull it back up, that can be what stops the flap valves working properly.

Soft top. Yes i saw a video with the trombone cleaner. I will see if I can see the flaps. I assume these are at the bottom and just allow the flow of drain water.

I had a 1.8 mk2.5 and now have a 2.0 mk3, and the engine is a big step forward. Way better than the paper figures would suggest.

Mods for me were suspension, infotainment, cup holder change plus a load of routine maintenance and fixes.

I now love my mk3, which I didn’t for a while and hankered for my 2.5. I think getting the suspension sorted was the biggest gain.

1 Like

They’re not at the very bottom, so you probably won’t be able to see them
The tubes exit a vertical panel facing the middle of the car, one on each side.
To find them, lie on your back, parallel with the car with your head by the rear wheel. Reach under, without stretching too much, in front of the wheel and feel for the vertical panel facing away from you. The tube is proud of the panel by a few mm.

I will have a look later thanks
I agree the suspension needs sorting by the feel. New tyres are a start. Even on wet roundabout with no real speed i felt the back end move a bit. So tyres. Lower a bit 30-40 mm. Nearly as tall as my Defender.
Mate coming to plug diagnostics in to check all is as should be. Mk 2 just feels more chuckable but as you say i am sure it will grow on me and look great in black to match my Defender and CBR.

Well I discovered the TSC today. Came away from traffic lights a bit exuberantly and there was quite a shudder, nigh on a minor bang and then I realised it must be the TSC as the roads are rather slippery. Needless to say I experimented a bit and booted it to see how it reacted. TSC light flickers on dash when activating, which I assume is standard. It certainly seems to have more go than my 1.8 Mk2 and has a similar sensation to my Celica 190 when it hits the cam, if not quite so pronounced. It does seem to track all over the place so it is difficult to tell how good the handling is by comparison, but when I get the new tyres and get it all set up properly, then it should be a bit more assured.

Good news on car. My MOT mate has given it a good check over and plugged in diagnostics. Nothing wrong with it at all. Underneath all sound and now I have a new battery in the key fob even the central locking works. Fingers crossed i have a bargain. :grinning:

2 Likes

Well, driving around yesterday, really for the first time since I bought it as the snow put pay to that since. The road noise I will have to sort. I did try to a wire down the drain hole ( an old net blind wire which is very flexible) Could I manage? No! It must be a waggle job. If it is these flaps that are mentioned and they have been damaged, are they replaceable. I can see the noise will drive me mad.
Then over a few bumps and a knocking from the rear offside. I will do the easy check in the daylight to see if the jack has come loose in the boot, or I may suspect some suspension component I guess.

First check the drop links.

This replaces the valves and improves drainage

I was pondering the drop links or shockers. The later may have something to do with the wandering feel the car has at the moment. My MOT mate did check over at the weekend with his pry bar from experience these things are not always easily detected unless under the weight of the car.

The drain kit seems a good buy down the line, but could really do with that money going towards new tyres in the first instance. However, I assume the flaps are located in the plastic housing behind the sill and so can be removed and checked.

I believe they are the straight ones in the picture. They are behind the seat belt reels. If you go to the mx5parts page I linked a fitting guide is near the bottom

Right. Thank you I see that now.

A lot of people stuff some aquarium filter foam up the bottom of the tube.

It does help but it’s not a cure.

Not sure there is a cure…

And then remove to vent?

The knocks i can sort if it just a case of drop links but road noise like that will drive me batty.

1 Like

Being water filter material, the water should pass through easily but good to check for blockage every month or two.
Mine have been fine but soft tops may be prone to more debris

I think I will order up a pair of rear drop links. Is it worth doing the ARB bushes at the same time? It’s a spindly thing to say the least. If so, any mileage on poly or not worth it for standard set up?

It seems it may actually be the bottom bush on the damper and not the drop link. I assume this is replaceable without having to change the whole shocker.