New to the fold. Sort of

Hello there. I have been a member on and off for the past few years having had a Eunos, currently a Mk 2 and collecting a mk 3 tomorrow. I know there are lots of schools of thought on the mk 3 it seems like a good buy but needs new tyres in this sort of weather. Other than that it is a 2.0 ltr so it will be interesting to see how it goes compared to the 1.8 mk 2. It will be a shame to see it go but it does need to go.
Any thoughts on initial mods on mk 3. I am guessing lowering. They do look tall
Cheers
Oh and I will be joining properly again. .

Hi Sean and welcome back… I’ve only been here for a few months, but thoughts and advise should be plentyful…! Rob

As I recall. Thanks.

Welcome.
What year is your MK3? Early ones looked like they were on stilts indeed.
You’ll find plenty of posts about lowering if you do a search on here, with different approaches.

Early one. An 06 registered on a 55 plate.

Oh yeah that will need bringing back down to earth.
Obviously choose your insurance company carefully.
Mine’s a 2013 and I am happy with the standard settings.
But this thread’s pretty good:

Thank you. I shall have a nosey. I am guessing similar options to my Eunos lowering.

Well, off to get the mk3 this lunch time. Pity the weather is naff
Will get some new tyres asap and then try to resist spending straight away. Lol.
MOT mate checking over for anything in need of immediate attention.

Mine too registered 28th feb (Last day of 55plate)
I have lowered mine on Mazdaspeed springs and have rx8 ARD’s on.
I too came from a Mk2 (RS) and found the MK3 too imprecise in the handling. That cured it along with alignment

Yes, I just hope I wont be disappointed. I suppose it is all relative. I have a mini so mx5 handling so so by comparison. Rear wheel drive though. :+1:

Check the passenger carpet for damp and also check if the clutch biting point is somewhere in the underlay.

All seems ok but not has look over. V irritating wind noise from left ear. Is there a vent into the boot or something. Feels a bit ‘slippery’ so the tyres may be coming soon and s suspension check

Sounds like a drain tube stuck open

1 Like

Drain tube? Forgive my ignorance. I assume this is obvious to see behind the seats.
Bonus is there is an invoice for £1000 for works done back in August 20. Brakes all around, drop links, exhaust and full service, so that can’t be too bad.

Many things on youtube here is one Mazda MX-5 / Miata MK3 NC Roof Drain Hole Location - YouTube

By far the best way is to dismantle the plastics behind the seats, take out the seat belt reels and take out and clean the valves, also check for rust whilst in there. It sounds a lot, but 2 hours max will see it all done and back together

Why would that cause a wind noise. Maybe it’s just a bigger area behind the seats compared to my mk3.

Hi and welcome.
If you ever need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.

Already have my insurance for my Mazdas landy and kit with Flux. Thanks.

Its road noise rather than wind noise.
The roof drains exit near the wheels and have valves incorporated to reduce the resultant road noise travelling up the tubes and into the cabin.
Those valves can get stuck.

Ah. That makes sense. Thanks. Are they accessible to check or is it a question of cleaning through and hoping. It’s an annoying noise.