New Tyres for ND

hi,

I am after some advice for some new tyres for my 2.0 ND its a daily drive and I guess I drive on the spirited side.

The rears are due for replacement, having had the car a few months and the car coming with little tread on the back it’s hard to say how much I like the Bridgestone s0001 tyres.

The way the car feels at the moment I do not want another set as there is zero grip in the wet, and reading around this seems to be a common theme.

As such, can anyone make any recommendations as to which tyres are good on the mx5? I was looking at the Michelin sport as they seem to get good ratings however there are a few variants so I’m not sure which one to look at.

On my NC I tried the uni royal rainsport but didn’t get on with them and before that kumho ku39 which seemed pretty good.

Any suggestions welcome. Thanks

1 Like

You won’t go wrong with a set of Michelin PS4 I have them on my 2.0 NC, just superb wet and dry, but they’re not cheap, you get what you pay for!

I put the PS4s on the back of my ND when the Bridgestones were at 3mm due to a cut. They seemed to feel a bit better when I got them fitted, I can’t say it was a significant difference. No difference I can tell in road noise but I have never unintentionally lost traction with them.

I have recently put a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tyres on my Toyota GT 86, they have greatly improved the car regarding wet and dry grip and also much quieter.

Worth trying ASDA tyres for prices.

I am in the same situation. I need to replace the Bridgestones that were on from new. In dry they are good but they are terrible in the wet.

On previous cars I have used Goodyear Eagle F1 Aysmetrics. They have been good in the wet, and road noise has been good. However, you can only get them in 88 XL and I’m unsure how well they’ll behave with such a light car.

Main factors for me are wet grip and road noise. Any recommendations?

Tw1stidMX5: Not that it may count for much but BBR Gti have a complete wheel and tyre package, they suggest that the Goodyear eagle F1 is their favourite tyre.

The package however is also 215,45 instead of the standard width.

I am yet to make my decision, but its getting to the point that I need to decide which way to go. Tyres are such a personal preference, making it quite difficult to make a decision…

Ive gone for Goodyear Eagle F1 Aysmetric 3s. Getting fitted in a few weeks and 4-wheel alignment. Ill report back when they’re worn in - hopefully better than the awful Bridgestone Potenzas on there at the moment.

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3s fitted a few weeks ago. Overall pretty happy. Wet grip much improved which is the main thing. Dry grip is probably slightly lower, and the sidewalks definitely feels softer so the car feels a little more floaty. But far more confidence in the wet which was my main quibble with the Potenzas.

Funnily enough after a lot of time spent deciding, I also went for the Goodyear’s, based on the fact that they were possibly not quite as good as the Michelin‘s but had a lower dB rating which appeals, plus they were the tyre of choice for bbr gti. The only difference was that I decided to change to 215 45 17 as they are wider and strangely cheaper

I would have to agree with you, they are certainly miles better in the wet but possibly not quite as good as the Bridgestones in the dry, but there isn’t much between them, so a very worthy contender 

I fitted Goodyear Eagle F1s to my NC shortly after buying it to replace the half worn Kumhos and very worn Potenzas it came with. The Goodyears are a very good match for the NC giving excellent grip wet and dry together with good steering feel and accuracy. I opted for 215 45 17s because they were significantly cheaper. However, with the benefit of hindsight I think I should have stayed with 205s. The car was designed to run on 205s and no doubt Mazda spent a lot of development cash in optimising the handling on 205s.
I would recommend Goodyear Eagle F1s without hesitation for the NC.
When the time comes to replace the tyres on my ND I will have to have a good look through the forum and a good think. At present the PS4s look like the beat bet.

1 Like

Hmm…the Bridgestones on the back of my ND are about knackered , and wet grip is awful so it is time to change. One option , as the fronts are fine , is same again. The 'Stones are good in the dry, and have been fine in the wet until recently and it’s the cheapest option, so it is tempting. But I don’t rule out getting a full set and losing what’s left on the fronts .Obviously I am not mixing brands .

In the past I have been impressed by offerings from Kumho , Yokohama and Toyo on other cars . But I’ve obviously never picked the right Michelins , as mine all felt as though they were made out of wood . Worst tyres I’ve eve rused since the days of cheap remoulds were some Dunlops which were hilariously awful and set new records for aquaplaning - and on a 1600kg SUV at that…

I’d welcome any thoughts based on experience.

I’m the same as others, never been a fan of the Bridgestones, will be glad to see the back of them.  If the car was a daily I’d go with Goodyears as others have said, it however is not therefore I’m putting AD08Rs on mine. 

Well , after much browsing reviews and forums I have ordered a set of Michelin PS. I will report back- but given the state of my rear Bridgestones anything will be a quantum leap forward.

Good morning John, I look forward to your initial views and hopefully a more ‘long term’ report later in the year.

Michelin PS4s - early days , only about 100miles on dry/greasy roads so far but my early thoughts , FWIW , are -

• less bump thump over cats eyes and similar
  • absorbent , but pleasingly 'nuggety 'ride
  • better turn in
  • more progressive breakaway, if not any real noticeable increase in grip
  • a little meatier in feel - steering has a tiny little more feedback (but it is still pretty rubbish though )
  • unexpectedly , a bit less self centring
  • and , oddly , although the same size as the Bridegstones they replaced , they look signifcantly wider from the rear view .

Don’t take any of this as definitive as the tyres are still brand new, ,my views are preliminary and obviously subjective and even a new set of identical 'Stones would have feel very different to a worn out , 4 year old set of the same tyre .

1 Like

Well, 400 miles later, my choice is vindicated.They are great, breakaway is even easier to exploit , grip excellent , ride definitely improved and a light touch on steering does enable some feel (if not nearly enough ) to be experienced . It’s never going to be a 911 or Lotus in that respect though, sadly

Well, 400 miles later, my choice is vindicated.They are great, breakaway is even easier to exploit , grip excellent , ride definitely improved and a light touch on steering does enable some feel (if not nearly enough ) to be experienced . It’s never going to be a 911 or Lotus in that respect though, sadly

People seem to recommend the Kumho tyres on the mx5

1 Like

If anybody is interested the PS 4s are a quantum leap forward in the wet - I did 100 miles in the rain yesterday , seeking out standing water where I could. Aquaplaning has been reduced to alomst nothing except in a really big puddle at speed