New Tyres for ND

Never see Toyo Proxy’s mentioned ?

Opinions are like… as they say, so expect a few here.
However the T1R was remarkable in just how much of a fanboi following a truly unremarkable, even sub standard tyre could get.
The T1 Sport again was a nothing special tyre, out performed by many of its peers.
The TR1 is new, and may or may not be OK. It is currently getting a lot of love on Nutz, mainly because of its very low deal prices with sets of 15" tyres being picked up for less than £130. It does come with the caveat of “wkd skids m8” and “alright for the money”. It does have better wet capability than the T1R it replaced, it would have been hard not to, but they are nowhere near the pinical of tyre design. So while they are unlikely to be going back to the tyre fitter in the first week and saying “get these off my car” in the context of recommendations, the only point is they are likely to be cheap.

1 Like

I found the Toyo Proxes T1R seriously overhyped, they were not good in damp conditions; I much preferred the Uniroyal Rainsport 2 and 3 despite the squidgy sidewall and shorter life. Although I’ve since moved onto better things as previously discussed.

The T1S I never tried but I believe was more of the same. Wouldn’t buy the TR1 unless there was some very positive feedback on it.

If I was in the market for a mid-price tyre I’d be looking at Kuhmo KU39, Hanook Ventus (Prime 3 or S1 Evo 3) or Falken FK510 BUT I’m out of touch with their current ranges. The Kleber Quadraxer, Maxxis Victra Sport 5 and Vredestein use to be considered alright for their price too.

I have the factory OEM tyres on my ND 2.0 Sport (Bridgestone S001). The rear set need replacing while there is still quite a bit of life in the front tyres.
Do I need to stay with the same manufacturer and tyre type on the rear? I can get S001’s fitted but they are being phased out. Would there be any problems if I fitted Bridgestone Turanza’s on the rear and keep the S001’s on the front? Or do I have to change all four tyres?
I’m a little cautious on the tyres as I had a problem when I purchased the car with mis matching tread patterns on the original factory fitted rear tyres that cause diff issues.

@MEW Tyres on the same axle should be the same, you can have different pairs front and rear although it may affect the handling balance of the car slightly (generally advised to put the tyres with more tread/grip on the rear axle in a RWD car to reduce oversteer tendency). If you really don’t want to mix tyres you can “rotate the tyres” swapping the front and rears periodically to even out the wear. I should add whilst you can often mix brands and treadpatterns between front and rear without major issue, mixing summers and winters will really screw up the handling balance!

The OEM S001 are garbage IMO and I couldn’t wait to be rid of them! Wouldn’t go for Turanza’s myself as they are a touring tyre and not a sports tyre so they’re going to be less grippy than the S001 in many situations (this goes back to the balance thing above, you might end up with a tail happy car). I wouldn’t really go for any Bridgestone tbh, because I had RE050As before and they were pants too (and expensive pants at that). If you do want touring tyres all reviews rave about Continental Premium Contact 6 but I haven’t used them.

I’ve discussed my mid-market sports tyre recommendations in my previous post but if you’re a quicker driver a premium summer tyre would be preferable which I discussed in a slightly earlier post. If you go for 215/45 R17 size (which is 10mm wider and about 1.5% taller) they are actually cheaper and fit the OEM wheels fine.

Absolutely loved the Kumho KU39s on my NC which were recommended and fitted by NickD.

Have now fitted the Kumho PS71s to my ND and very happy with them. Good price from Black Circles particularly if you can get one of their regular 10% off deals.

I had a set of Continental Premium Contact 6 last week and have been impressed by just how much quieter, smoother and grippier they are than my part worn OE Bridgestones.
I presume that’s due to advances in the world of tyres over the last 3yrs or so :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Nick kindly provided me with advice which I took - I’ve had PS71’s fitted. Excellent set of tyres and completely changes the driver feel of the car - much more sure footed, doesn’t bounce around and shake your filling loose or come loose in the wet! Taken me back to my NC (which had Potenza’s) and how that felt very ‘connected’ with the road.
This is the first time that my ND has felt similar to the NC and much more enjoyable to drive. Thumbs up for the PS71 (Got all four for £71 each fitted through Black Circles).

2 Likes

Put PS4’s in 215/45 ×17xl on my NC2 when replacing the original 2013 Bridgestones. I found the Bridgestones were a bit loose in the wet but fine in the dry. I would also expect any original fitment tyre to be losing its wet and or dry capabilities at 3 or 4 years old due to age. The PS4’s felt squirelly for the 1st 200 miles or so and I almost regretted it. Now however they have bedded in and handle well.

1 Like

An update: I’ve finally gone to 215/45 R17 and I cannot believe how much more grip there is for such a small increase in tyre width, genuinely astounded. I’m on much cheaper Falken FK510 tyres and the grip levels run rings around even the most premium stuff at 205 width, to be honest there could be a bit too much grip for having a giggle! My car is not running a factory alignment though, Rodders did mine (before my width increase). The handling balance is different, it’s a lot less tail happy and far more progressive entering a slide, when pushing hard it just seems to push wide across all 4 tyres rather than understeering, not sure if that’s down to the tyre model or the width increase.

If you are considering going to 215/45 R17 tyres (from 205/45), here’s some figures you may find handy:
5% wider and 1.5% taller diameter (don’t forget the sidewall will sit at an angle slightly so a little extra kerb protection), Rolling circumference goes from 1936mm to 1964mm so you’re regearing by 1.45%, that means the speedo is 0.9 mph more accurate at 60 mph. You also raise the ride height and reduce wheel arch clearance by 5mm.

1 Like

I fitted a set of Contis in May 2019. I have now done eight or nine thousand miles on them and they have been superb (compared to the Brigestones). Grip and steering are absolutely spot on and I was immensely impressed by them on a track day. I would thoroughly recommend Premium Contact 6 tyres for the ND.

2 Likes

Previous owner replaced the original Bridgestones on my ND, with Pirelli P Zero Nero GT, shortly before selling the car to me so they are almost new.
No complaints so far, seem to grip well in the dry, I’ll let you know about the wet grip when I’ve more experience. Noise levels seem low.

Hi John
Would you still recommend the Michelin Pilot Sport 4?
I have a ND 2016 and need 4 tyres soon
Cheers

Yes , absolutely I would . I am on my second set of rears now , with the fronts needing replacement soonish. Grippy , progressive breakaway and trustworthy -none of which I’d say so confidently about Bridgestones.

John

2 Likes

Many thanks John