New wheels and tyres 7j or 7.5j?

Hi guys and gals, I have been looking at changing my wheel and tyre set up. My mk1 is now lowered and on the original 14" bbs on a 185/60 14 tyre.

I know it has been done to death but I’m looking at rota grid Vs in a 15x7 et20. Am I correct in thinking that a 195/50 r15 would be the most idealised tyre and would need minimal arch work or none?

Also looking at japan racing (jr12) wheels which are 7.5j et26 and would then need a 205/50 15 tyre and would probably need a slight arch roll?

Any advice welcome tia.

Nige

Something I wrote quite sometime ago and somewhere else.

Lets start with wheels.

*If you don’t understand what offset is, use Google. However, what size wheels fit an MX-5? *

*Tyre width and “Lows” make a difference. Assuming you are going to fit proper size tyres then for a MK1, from the hub face of the car, the bit the wheel actually bolts to, the original 14" MK1 wheel’s outer face was about 35mm further out. So if you want wider wheels, you need to work out your width and offset. *

So if you have a 15 x 7J wheel with a 30 offset, will it fit?

*Width in inches so 7" x 25.4 to give the wheel width (they are wider than this, but this is good enough) 177.8 (you can round it up to 178. *

*Divide that by 2 to give you half the width and then take away the offset 178/2 - 30 = 59mm. *

*So here are the important figures. *

*For MK1 cars, if that final figure is below 66 , for normal tyres and suspension you will require no body mods to fit the wheels. *
For MK2 cars the figure is 78

If you go above these figures you are likely to need to roll your arches. Spastic camber is not a solution and it will cost you more in tyres that the cost of rolling.

*If you fit big tyres the situation will be different, so 225 50 15 tyres would require the arches rolling and pulling if you are at the 78 figure for instance. *

*Tyre sizes. *
*Just because you can buy a wide wheel, do not assume there will be tyres to fit them. Different world markets have different tyres and specifications and regulations that apply to them. Just because you can get a tyre in the US, it does not mean it is available in Europe or even legal for use. Equally just because “it’s been proved in America or Japan” does not mean results are equal in Europe and generally far from it. You will see very few cars in Europe running Hoosier tyres for this very reason. *

Also, just because a tyre size exists in one brand and pattern, it does not mean that other manufactures make that same size. If you buy 10" wide 13" rims, the chances of getting a road tyre to fit are slim. Think before you buy!

1 Like