New young member ( and dad )

Hello everyone,
Firstly let me introduce ourselves.
I’m Nathan and I am on here thanks to my son Sam.
I am a car enthusiast myself but never owned or driven any MX5 before or any 2 seater roadster come to think of it.
But Sam my son has been into MX5’s since he was about 5 years old.
After buying him an MX5 book a few years ago he has read it front to back several times over.
Since he got a phone he spends most of his allowed screen time on e bay motors or classic car sites looking and researching MX5’s for sale.
I knew the question would come one day
“ dad can we maybe see about getting one so I can learn about it, how to look after it and use it when I can drive?”
Knowing it wasn’t just a whim or a schoolboy fantasy I said well let’s see but we haven’t got the money just to go and buy one.
He kept doing the research and would bombard myself and my wife with facts and figures and prices I think in the hope we would give in.
He did so much leg work and kept telling me how a Eunos would be better because of this that and the other and some of the special editions he really liked would be too expensive in years to come.
He started putting a plan into place to sell all his expensive lego to put towards it and to be fair he started building up a fair amount.
Long story short and fast forward to this year our three kids were left a small amount of money each in inheritance.
We knew what was coming “ can I invest some of mine in a car?”
After much discussion my wife and I decided that he’d done so much research and it wasn’t an unrealistic car he wanted we would let him.
It will be something we can look after together and hopefully by the time he can actually drive it he will know it inside out. Even looked at insurance and it wasn’t too bad for a new driver.
So Saturday saw us driving 5 hours to Kent from Liverpool to look at and hopefully drive home in a Eunos J- Limited.
To say he was over the moon is an understatement when we signed on the dotted line.
Now is probably a good time to add that Sam is nearly 12 years old.
I’ve spent the last few months reading about the cars, what to look for and speaking to a few owners at car shows etc.
So we have 5 years to get up to speed but I’m sure it will be an enjoyable 5 years for us especially for me as I’m the lucky one who gets to drive it.
So thanks for having us here I am sure we will be learning a lot on here over the years.

Sam has already named it Jason ( J- Sun) which I think is rather cool. :rofl:

36 Likes

Welcome Nathan and Sam!

3 Likes

Lovely story, good luck with your MX5 Im sure you’ll enjoy the car and the MX5 community!
Cheers
Nac

2 Likes

Welcome along Nathan and Sam, I’m sure you’ll both get a lot out of ownership of the car and membership of the Club.

1 Like

Welcome to you both. Great story and Sam will most likely be the ‘Go To’ man in a couple of months!!

Welcome both, enjoy the experience of the MX-5.
At Sam’s age I was tinkering with Lambrettas then when old enough to drive tinkering with a VW camper van, no MX-5’s then.
Looks a decent Mk1 there, enjoy.:+1:

3 Likes

Hello Sam, and Nathan, That was a great story and really made me smile.
You have got yourselves a beautiful looking MX5, well done, worth the wait and all that research.
I will keep a look out for you in Liverpool. :+1:

2 Likes

Wonderful story, thanks for sharing.
You two will not only enjoy the car but the unique opportunity to have a shared interest while Sam is growing up.
As an older dada to older kids I only regret that those times come to pass. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy

1 Like

Lovely story.
Reminds me of Escape to the Chateau with D.i.c.k. Strawbridge and his lad “doing stuff”.
Super Dad you!

1 Like

What a brilliant story! Welcome to you both :grinning:

3 Likes

Welcome Sam and J-Sun [Oops and Dad Nathan] :handshake:

What a Remarkable Young Chap You Are :+1:

:shushing_face: [How Tall Are You…Can You Reach the Pedals …If You Can…Then Tell Dad to Find an Off Road Area so He Can Teach You to Drive…You’ve Not Heard That From Me] :innocent:

Seriously Nathan…What a Spiritually Uplifting and Heartwarming Storey :smiley:

Just What We Need in These Times of ‘Doom and Gloom’ :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Hats Off to You Both :tophat:

1 Like

Great to see. Last December we bought a v spec eunos for my son and me to enjoy and work on together, he is 16 in February next year, so a little older. We have done work on the interior, changed the suspension and over the last 2 weekends replaced the front upper wishbones. More to do over the next months, years but great to do together.

1 Like

Fantastic story - welcome to the Club :slight_smile: I hope to see you both and J-Sun at an event soon.

2 Likes

Sam’s car looks super and I am sure will bring much pleasure to you both. Drive carefully Nathan! :slight_smile:

David

1 Like

Oh wow, fantastic story, love it. Brought a tear to my eye. If he looks after it & keeps it, worth a fortune!

1 Like

Thankyou everyone for the warm welcome and messages.
The Mx5 is certainly very different to anything else I’ve driven. What a fantastic little car. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

An MX5 for his first car? He’s a lucky boy.
A similar story when I was a boy although it was a Ford Anglia 100E my dad bought for me. No such things as smart phones those days so it was just car magazines and yearly visits to the Motor Show at Earls Court. We did live at Silverstone circuit as dad was a farmer there and we often met all the early Grand Prix drivers such as Stirling Moss, Graham Hill etc.
After rebuilding my engine with dad I often drove around the circuit and local village roads, no one batted an eyelid back then at a 13 year old driving a car.
Hope your boy gets to drive it somewhere safe at an early age, he’ll be a petrolhead for the rest of his life.

3 Likes

Welcome. Maybe meet up one day!
I have a J2 Ltd so will look rather bright alongside each other.
Bob and Amanda

1 Like

So am I right in saying the J2 is the one from 94?
Black windscreen surround?
If I have absorbed the information Sam my lad has drummed into me over the years? :thinking:
That would make a nice pairing a J and a J2 limited.
We will hopefully be getting along to some local events so we will no doubt see you about.
I do like to try and attend some club events, we like to see other peoples cars and learn off other owners, also hopefully getting Young ones involved from an early age will keep clubs like this alive in years to come.

Ah…. The slippery slope. :grinning:
Next…
Dad, can we try some track days?
Dad, can I have a go at racing MX-5s?
Dad, can you loan me some cash to buy an ND?
(Speaks from experience!)

2 Likes