Newbie from the Cotswolds

I’m a total newbie living just outside of Stroud - and I’m picking up my soul red ND on Thursday.

I’ve wanted one for ages but kept worrying that it was totally impractical for an only car. However this year I realised that I just don’t care about that and want a car that makes me smile!

I’ve attached a photo of her (she’s called Vixen - as she’s red and her reg no starts VX) although still in the dealership so not a great photo.

Looking forward to being part of the club, talking to other owners and learning about all things MX5.

11 Likes

Looks very clean! Welcome to the club! Any plans for it - or just enjoy it as it is!

1 Like

What a gorgeous car, Carolyn! Wishing you many happy smiles in her

A lot of enjoyment - but I’ve already got a Thruxton training day booked for April (I’m on the IAM Skills Day instructor team and it’s a pre-season meet-up) - along with a track evening at Donnington and a full track day at Blyton Park! And a limit handling day in March - as I’m coming from a fwd car so just want to know where the edges are.

First I have to stock up on warm hats! The test drive left me looking like a llama - albeit a very happy llama.

3 Likes

Welcome, I too own a soul red ND (and also used to live just outside of Stroud!) and love it.

Lots of regular meets and drives of the South West Midlands group, a very friendly lot so feel free to just turn up in your new car !

1 Like

Thanks. I’ll look out for meets (once I find my way around this forum!) and definitely come along.

Well Named :hugs:

1 Like

Snap! Ours is a 2017 ND in Soul Red and she’s called Mia. Bought her 2 years ago with 12k miles on the clock. Now she has 44k and lives outside but well cared for and regularly serviced. An absolute delight to drive, lots of fun although the recent need to change the rear spherical bushes came as a shock, but all done now.
Enjoy the car and some top down motoring when the sun shines. Look after her and she’ll not let you done. Cheers, Mark

2 Likes

Hi Carolyn.

Welcome to the club!

My Soul Red Crystal RF also has a VX registration!

South West Midlands Drives/Events/Meetings can all be viewed in the calendar on this website or on our own site.
If you select South West Midlands as your area in your profile you will also receive our emails and newsletters
Feel free to join any of our activities - you will be made very welcome.

1 Like

Just spotted on the FB page that several events seem to end up at the Jolly Nice Farm Shop. As it’s only a mile from me, I’m seeing lots of meet-up opportunities already :grinning:

Hi Caroline,
We are not too far from you (or the Jolly Nice Farm Shop. My wife and I live in Meysey Hampton.

1 Like

Assuming it’s a 2.0L, it’s just like mine bought new in 2001. They are superb. I can even get my 5 inch gauge model diesel-outline electric model locomotive into it to take to local club running tracks.

The two bogies, with 2 axle-hung traction motors each, fit into the well of the boot. The heavy chassis sits in the boot above those and with a bit of a jiggle though the boot opening, fits in OK. The two car batteries that power it go into the passenger footwell, and the body (at 45 degrees) sits on the passenger seat. the forward end resting on the batteries in the footwell and the rear end up by the headrest (my big all-weather coat spread over the seat protects the seat leather itself!).

Who’d have thought you could get a big model locomotive weighing over 10 stone into an MX5, roof up or down?

1 Like

Love the name and how you used the reg to decide on it! All cars should have one - mine is Matilda (the Mazda)!

1 Like

Lovely :+1:

1 Like

That looks like a Very Nice Car.
You’ll get a wave from me if I see you. Me and Zippy (my black mk3) live betwixt Cheltenham and Bourton-on-the-Water.

1 Like

I’m still learning all about my new car (very different from the TT I had before) and am loving her!

Took her over to Center Gravity to get the geo checked and tweaked (which has made a huge difference to the handling) - and she now has a new name (Mazikeen (Maze for short) as she’s a little demon (for Lucifer fans) and of course, a Mazda)!

Roof has been treated and next step is to get the seat raised so I can stop having to use a cushion!

One of the best things however are the waves and flashes I get from drivers of other MX-5s. Two today just going to the post office, and it really cheered up a wet grey day :blush:

3 Likes

I’ve never been on for naming cars but I refer to mine as The Mazdarati.

1 Like

Well I thought your original name ‘Vixen’ was cool but as a fan of Lucifer ‘Maze’ is even better :vulcan_salute:

1 Like

Lush car! I’m based in Brockworth, not too far from you. Welcome to the club!

1 Like