Newbie here with my dream project

Hi All,

So after dreaming of owning an MX5 for years I’ve finally picked up a 2009 mk3 2.0 SE hard top. I bought it as spares or repair and intend to save it and restore it to it’s former glory and it’s certainly worth saving. one former keeper and 113000 miles in it’s 14 years.

The main issues are rust around the rear arches, not terminal but needs to be addressed before it becomes so. O/S/R caliper seized and discs totally shot, wheels corroded and pulling to the right slightly.

The car drives fantastic in the main and has basically been neglected for the past few years so I bought new drilled and grooved discs all around, rear brake caliper service kit, engine service kit to make it safe on the road and I’ll address the rust after Christmas as the weather improves, but for now I’m just enjoying driving my little go-cart everywhere instead of my F Pace.

1 Like

Welcome and enjoy your project my friend :+1:

A 113k!!! Love that, Looks in great shape for 113, Mine is 59 plate and just hit 53k. its going to be fun project for you

Thanks. My take on the mileage is that it averages 8k per year which isn’t bad. Overall the car is in decent shape my guess is the previous owner just lost interest and let it go a bit but that’s my gain. Looking forward to getting stuck into it but I have to get Christmas out of the way first. I’m sure I’ll get some time on it soon though,

Defo!!! Its going to be fun and a great leaning curve!

Great to hear your joy for your new project. I think many of us here can relate.

Are you able to tackle the corrosion and bodywork yourself? That would certainly be a useful skill to possess ans will help keep costs to a manageable level.

Enjoy your car and feel free to share any and all progress as you bring her back to better condition.

Cheers,
Guy

Nice to see mx5 NC back on the road as they where intended to be. Mine is on a 06 plate with only 59000 on her.

1 Like

Thanks Guy,
Yes I’ll be doing all of the work myself which will reduce the costs and keep the overall spend sensible. Happy to share pic’s of progress and I don’t doubt I’ll be picking your knowledgeable brains along the way. :+1: