Newbie looking for advice on specific trim levels / year versions for ND

I’m looking to get an ND MX-5 as a daily driver. I currently drive a 2012 Focus which I enjoy (and is very practical) however I’d like to try out a slightly more fun car and the ND really caught my eye. If I get an MX-5 it will be my only car.

I have watched/read lots of reviews and most seem very positive except for the ‘long term review’ from OneLapHeroes on youtube where the reviewer seemed to hate the steering / suspension feel and said it felt like it was 30 years old.

I have browsed around Autotrader for a while and the going rate for a low mileage 2016-2018 Sport Nav seems to be around £15-16k. Is it worth going to £18k+ for a 2019 version with the improved engine?

Also - is the RF variant (hardtop convertible) possibly better? It seems to go for only a slight premium on the used market, so is the RF a better buy than the softtop?

1 Like

I have a 2017 RF as my only car, bought in 2019 and after over 50k miles I still love it

Where are you based and have you been for a test drive yet?

Considering you are going from a Focus to an MX-5 as your only car you also need to think about practicality, there is a lot less boot space!

I have only ever driven the ND1 so don’t have any reference to compare against the ND2 with the updated engine, I feel like it was only a change for the 2L engine too.

Personally, I find the RF more sensible as a daily option, from new the RF is ~£2k more hence the higher used prices too.

2 Likes

I bought a March 2017 ND (1) in February this year with 12k miles and FSH from Mazda - cost £16.5k. It’s an RF and apart from a little effort keeping the hood clean & free of algae (lots of threads on this), it’s absolutely awesome to drive and reminds me of driving rear wheel drive cars of the past such as the MGB, but with all the added, modern comforts - I’ve got a brill SatNav/entertainment system, leather seats (had to buy a £12 lumbar cushion from Halfords though), fairly frugal (avg 54 MPG) and so long as it’s not raining we love to go out with the hood down in any weather! Mine’s a daily use and clocking up 500 miles weekly and thus far, very happy with my purchase. Happy hunting.

1 Like

Have you thought about the seats? Mine has the Recaro seats which I really like but they are only available in three limited editions in the UK, both in and out of your preferred price range.
2016 Sport Recaro - ND1 soft top, 160 bhp, £mid teen prices
2017 Launch Edition - ND1 RF (retractable fastback), 160 bhp, £top teen prices
2019 30th Anniversary - ND2 soft top or RF with the more powerful 184 bhp engine and prices over £20k

Thanks all - I think I might be convinced that the RF is the better option!

Thanks for the info on the Recaro seat trims - unfortunately I can’t seem to find any of those trims locally (nearish to Guildford)

At the moment I’m considering a 2019 model year RF due to the better engine.

1 Like

Also bear in mind if there is any possibility of it being an issue, there is more head room in a soft top than the RF, if you are anywhere near 6ft 2 then you’ll have issues with the RF.

ND1 Recaro Edition is the best value for money model IMHO (comes with unique wheels, Recaro seats and full aero kit).
Otherwise pay the extra for the ND2 with the revised engine.

2 Likes

Any other good places to look other than Autotrader and Cazoo?

Facebook group MX-5 MK4 ND owners UK :uk: Sales Page

It’s definitely worth getting the ND2 imho. It’s simply a nicer engine to use, irrespective of the bit of extra power over the ND1.
Seats are worth mentioning as others have said, the recaros being far better over long distances.
If you can I’d hang on for a bit, as prices of used cars (which have been massively inflated over the last 18 months) are dropping fast, especially for cars such as the MX5 / RF which are usually ‘want’ not ‘need’ purchases.

Go for 2019 would be my choice But then I already have one and yes the 2.0 RF sport Nav+ came with a few upgraded mods

Having looked at a/t for the first time in a while there’s not a lot of choice is there.
Fwiw I’d wait, both for one to come up locally and for prices to fall further, or if you really do want to do it be prepared to travel for the right car.
I’m probably a bit biased, but imho the 30AE is possibly your best bet, as although they are more expensive, they will always be worth more further down the line, so in the long run may work out best value if that’s important to you. They also come with all of the desirable bits as standard, including recaros, Brembos, apple CarPlay etc, (which has become a must have for many).
A silly offer on dealer and (especially) private sales is always worth a try.
There’s a RF (not 30AE) on a/t in Wigan which looks worth investigating to me. No affiliation.
Use Carvertical to check out ANY (inc from dealers) potential purchases, there’s an awful lot of unrecorded damage repaired cars around at the moment, which an HPI check won’t flag up.
Good luck with your search.

1 Like

Try mazdausedcarlocator.co.uk and then advanced search / features / Upholstery leather alcantara to view a selection of the cars in the dealer network with Recaro seats, or select other features as you wish.
Also worth looking on Pistonheads and again, use the filters as required.

If you got a bad back I would definitely recommend you get one with recaro seat’s they look so good when roof is down and they hold you very well

Thanks. The 30th edition with all the trim extras looks great. It’s just that I originally came looking to spend about £15k, managed to convince myself to spend £19k on a 2019 model with the upgraded engine… I can’t justify spending £25k on a 30th anniversary edition!

It’s a bit of a difficult choice between the following:

Option 1: £19k for RF ND2 with improved engine but standard Sport Nav+ trim (27k miles, 2019)
Option 2: £20k for RF ‘Launch Edition’ with Recaro seats, BBS wheels etc. (17k miles, 2017)
Option 3: £17k for softtop ‘Z-Sport’ special edition with nice sand colour leather interior, BBS wheels and red top (20k miles, 2018)

Each could be a great option, and I figure different people would have different opinions!

Out of those 3 I’d have the ND2 every time. If it’s the one Cazoo have, they also have a 69 plate, 5k less miles, same colour, and may still have Mazda warranty - which could be extended - for £19100.
Be careful though, there’s been stuff on bbc watchdog recently about the quality of their cars and preparation…

Yep I’m looking at the Cazoo one. The other Cazoo red car seems to have somewhat dinged up paint unfortunately.

1 Like

Don’t dismiss the soft top just because it’s a daily. I’ve daily driven a soft top since May and now that the weather is turning less warm - it’s not cold yet! - I can already tell it’s the warmest, snuggest car I’ve ever owned.

I’ve had my 68 plate ND2 2 litre SportNav+ for just over two years. My only car and a soft top too. Love it and no chance I’ll be changing it anytime soon :slight_smile:

Rob

Cazoo prep is not great. I did buy a great 5 through them but found it incredibly tail happy straight off the forecourt. Checked the tyre pressures and all 4 were at 38 psi!
Sorted that and dropped the car into my local garage for a quick once over which Cazoo paid for and that was the only fault.
Since had a window regulator and motor fail but was paid for under the extended warranty I took out with Cazoo so perhaps not all bad.

I have an nd2 rf and have actually been thinking about getting a soft top nd1. On day 1 of owning it, I’d have the supercharger fitted mind. Both to me are down on power and would be way more fun faster accelerateing.