Newbie needs new rear tyres on Mk5 - Anyone tried Bridgestone A05?

So many replies to deal with, so here goes (sorry I haven’t tagged everyone in, but you know who you are):

1. “Obviously you haven’t heard of tyre rotation”.  Yes I have, but to be honest this is normally raised by the garage during MOT.  And it’s only 2.5 years old (so no MOT).  The dealership didn’t mention it at last service, and I was more concerned about getting the entertainment system firmware updated.  Poor priorities I confess.  My friendly neighbourhood mechanic will be taking over the servicing once I clear the 3 year “balloon” and is fully on the ball with tyre rotation.
  2. “It should tell you this is the owners handbook”.  Haven’t read it.  I think it’s still in the glove box. I don’t read instructions.  I’m one of those people that spends 4 hours trying to figure it out for myself, when 30 seconds reading a manual would have sorted it.
  3. “Health depends on tyres all being the same”.  I can carry on consuming the wine and gin then?
  4. “No such animal as a Mk 5 – typo error?”.  No.  ignorance.  Apparently it’s a Mk 4.  Who knew?!
  5. Kwik Fit have checked the tread on the tyres but suggested it was too late to rotate.  They said back were 1.4mm over legal – so I assume 3mm.  And 3mm-4mm above legal on the front?  Not sure to be honest.  I didn’t even know 1.6mm was the legal limit until now.  I Googled it – that 20p thing is brilliant!
  6. “A two year old car with low mileage.  Bit heavy on the go pedal?”.  Yes – but have you tried driving in stilletoes recently?  I drive a 2L car and the wheels regularly spin on one particular junction (right turn from a B road onto an A road in rush-hour traffic).  And that’s without the black ice.
  7. Again, and in relation to 6 above before you ask, yes, I’ve been caught speeding (in June this year).  I took the course.  First time caught speeding in 30 years.  I blame the car.  And the shoes.
  8. Car is nearly 2.5 years old, is a 2016 plate, flat white and has 17k on the clock.  I tried the 1.6L but it didn’t have enough “oomph” for me, and I rather liked the experience of going around a roundabout at speed with the wind in my hair.  No, actually, my hair in my face.  This is not a car if you want good hair days.  Good job everyone is too busy looking at my stilletoes.
  9.  “Assuming that all roads you drive on aren't as bad as rough sandpaper, but good tarmac roads” – welcome to Kirklees, where the roads are like driving on acute acne.
  10. “you need advice about keeping the roof drains clear” – having just spent the afternoon washing my car, then up to my elbows in raw sewage (unblocking a drain), roofs are a step up.  What should I be doing?
  11. “You obviously love the car” – yes I do.  This was a car of my dreams, not a mid life crisis car (too old for that) – this was a “kids have left home, I don’t need to drive elderly parents around (yet), I can just about afford it, so to hell with it – here, take my Fiesta in part ex!” kind of car. 
  12. I got VERY ARSEY with the dealership for continually ringing and asking to speak to my husband about MY CAR!  All he did was book the test drive.  I chose the car, pay for the car, pay for the servicing and have my name on the book.  Because it’s my car!  He won’t even discuss the tyres – because it’s my car and he doesn’t really “do” cars (I even wash his car).  The dealership won’t be getting repeat business.
  13. “The rate the tyres are wearing out it would be cheaper to take the bus”.  I haven’t been on a bus in around 45 years.  On the basis my husband had an insured Lotus Espirit (1988) sat in the garage gathering dust for years – the most expensive garage shelf known to man - and we worked out that it’s bi-annual trip out cost £200 a mile, I think a set of tyres is the least of my worries!
  14. “Why compromise in summer with all weather and the same for winter” – no storage space.  Garage is full of cat litter and dog food (see 15 below).
  15. “Have to say I love the comment about 'handling like a labrador on lino'. Priceless. As you also appear to favour the use of a number of bags of cat litter as ballast and from other comments it would suggest that what we have here is a blonde crazy cat lady with a wicked sense of humour and an MX-5. Think we are going to like having you around, could be fun.”  You got me – 10/10! 
  16. My forum name – what can I say, I’ve used the same for donkey’s years!  21 was the house number of the first house I purchased for myself after suffering a divorce followed by domestic violence in an abusive relationship.  Out of the frying pan!
  17. I have no desire to own a Volvo.  My dad did.  Several in fact.  Burgundy coloured HDN 822S and bottle green SAG 913W.  I have a memory for numbers.   My husband’s car is a Honda Civic R type, 2011 plate, Mugen.  Very nice and runs rings around my car, even with my heavy feet!  Not a Volvo in sight.
  18. Nick’s recommendation that I think I will go with is the Kumho PS71.  Looks like I will be getting 4, especially as he has offered “buy one, get one free”.  I don’t have the space for storage space for winter tyres, or the inclination to swap them over mid year.  However I do need to check that there is nothing in the purchase agreement that says I need to stick with Bridgestone (just in case I decide not to keep her in June). 
  19. Oh, and my car is a “she”, with an LUFC sticker and a cat sticker in the back window.  That makes me a crazy blonde LUFC supporting cat lady who is probably old enough to be your mother/grandmother!  But I have a nice car (albeit with bald tyres and a mad woman behind the wheel).
Thank for all of your advice guys!  I hope you take my responses in the light-heartened manner intended.

Good Girl! 

well done on such a detailed response - personally I always find a full set of Michelin Pilot Sports reassuringly expensive !

Colin 

Sorry for saying ‘Think we are going to like having you around’. Now I know we are.

I have replied twice, but it is telling me your inbox is full, which is going some, but then this is the OC forum. 

I have your message, but it is still saying your mail box is full, which sort of tell you all you need to know about this forum software. 

Just call me on the number below. 

4 Kumho PS71 fitted and what a difference! Such a smooth, quiet and grippy ride.

Plus extra cash left in the bank for gin!!!

What more could a girl ask for?!

Thanks all for your help, and NickD for being brilliant. I didn’t have a clue that I had a Kumho distributor 500m away!

Sue 

1 Like