Nice drives around Belper

Hi I’m staying in Belper for 2nights at the end of February and wondered if there are some nice roads/ drives in the area?

many thanks in advance

That is not far from the Peak District. Go up around Castleton, Edale, Buxton to Macclesfield (Cat and Fiddle but 50 mph average speed cameras) and do what we do…just turn off the main road and see where it takes you. Lots of good pubs for meals etc. If you go mid-week you may miss the cyclists and walkers.

I think a good way may be to go north on the A6 to Cromford then turn left on the Via Gelia if I remember correctly.

Enjoy

Hi Paul

I can give you some ideas for runs near Belper, during the summer months I would just say pick out some of the attractions you wish to incorporate and plot routes in between them.  There are a few bottle –necks on Market days but generally apart from temp. road works, the traffic should not be minimal , even in the tourist ‘Honey pots. As you are visiting in February a lot of the major attractions will be closed until Easter or later.

Where you go, and what you do will depend a lot on the weather, if its damp and misty there is no point in going onto the tops.

Suggestion 1, the area roughly inside the A515, A53,A523 triangle.

Take the A517 to Ashbourne, follow the A515 to Buxton, them the A5004 towards Whaley Bridge, pick up the brown signs to Goyt Valley. This is a scenic road, its only open to motor traffic during the winter months, there are  two toilet blocks on route, call into The Cat N Fiddle pub for a coffee, from there go towards Earl Sterndale on the side roads, turn right to Longor  just before Earl Sterndale.  Head Hulme End via Sheen (deviate to Hartington if time allows).

Now my favourite part of the run The Tunnel at Wetton   see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxO3RCfNGtQ and other youtube videos approach via Ecton.

Head for Tissington Village via Wetton, Hopedale, Ilam and Thorpe,

If its been dry for a week or so proceed to Bradbourne via Tissington Ford, if in doubt do not go through the ford, retrace your route to the A515 and approach Bradbourne via Fenny Bentley.

The pub at Knockerdown cross roads serves excellent food and hand pulled ales, for sheer atmosphere you must visit The Barley Mow pub in Kirk Irton  Return to Belper via the side roads.

Suggestion 2

Follow the River Derwent north to The Derwent Dam, (of Dam Busters fame) this will take you past Chatsworth House, if the weather is good, deviate to The Fox House (possibly have a legendary full breakfast at the Grindleford Station Cafe ) to take in the panoramic view of The Hope Valley at ‘The Surprise View’

Park at Fairholmes car park and have a look at the water cascading over the dam wall , retrace your steps to the traffic lights near Bamford Station, turn right to Hope, Edale (turn right by The Old Hall pub) Barber Booth, Mam Tor, drop into Castleton via The Winnatts Pass, park in The Devils Arse car park and look around the village, possibly taking in a cave or two. Leave Castleton via its Market Square to The Barrel pub at Bretton, via Little Hucklow, and Great Hucklow. Drop down into the plague village Eyam, walk down the main street and learn about the plague, look for the cricketers grave in the church yard.

Go across country to Bakewell, via Foolow, Wardlow Mires, Litton, Cresswell,Monsal Head (view point) and Ashford in the Water. Return to Belper via the A6

I think the above will take in roads to satisfy most drivers needs

Watch out for the average speed cameras on the A515 and around Buxton.

Enjoy you visit to Derbyshire