No fuse to pull to disable DRL

1. My model of MX-5 is: __ND SE+ 2019
  2. I’m based near: __Leeds
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __Daytime running lights

Hello everyone, I have a 2019 SE+ and have been trying to disable the daytime running lights (DRL), but there is no fuse in the 25th position of the engine compartment fuse box (which is indicated as DRL in the owner’s manual).

Quite puzzled as essentially the lower halogen DRLs and LED sidelights are running as DRLs without the 15A fuse in the fusebox.

Has anyone disabled the DRLs successfully? I believe this was one of the last few SE+ models as it has the I-eloop and I-stop as well.

Thank you.

Just out of interest why are you wanting to disable them? It appears to me that they are a good safety device without any downsides.
:heart:

1 Like

This sounds really silly, but I prefer to have control over the vehicle lights just like aircraft pilots control their aircraft lights even when certain lights are mandatory and probably would be easily automated :slight_smile:

" DRLs have been legally required to be fitted at the front of all new EU cars and small vans since 2011, but even though some manufacturers choose to include them at the rear, this is not compulsory".

The above quote is not definitive as my 2013 NC does not have them as standard.
My understanding is, that it is when the original Type Approval for the design of the car was submitted.

MOT - Section 4.2.1.(Applicable for next year)

Daytime running lamps

You only need to inspect daytime running lamps (DRLs) if they’re fitted as original equipment to vehicles first used on or after 1 March 2018.

Defect Category
(a) Lamp:

(i) multiple light source up to a half not functioning
(ii) missing, inoperative or in the case of a multiple light source more than a half not functioning|Minor
Major|
|(b) Defective lens|Major|
|(c) Lamp:

(i) not securely attached
(ii) likely to become detached|Minor
Major|

I also strongly “suspect” that they are an integral design feature of the headlight unit.
(Robbie will know).

As above a good safety feature.
You also run the risk of delving into the insurance side, which you would have to declare and I strongly suspect they wouldn’t insure you perhaps?? :man_shrugging:
Think you are stuck with them to be honest. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

If you did manage to disable them, I’d say that your insurance company would need to be informed. I also that they’d probably take a very dim view indeed of you disabling what is obviously a sensible and worthwhile safety feature.

I’ve always been of the opinion that if you can’t see a big lump of metal on the road, you shouldn’t be in possession of a driving license.

1 Like

Thank you all for your replies.

In my previous car, I disabled them and the insurance company (still with the same one now) was not bothered by it.

I guess if there is no straightforward way to do this I will learn to get used to them!

1 Like

I agree, but DLRs could also be of benefit to pedestrians old & young too.

Again…if they can’t see big lumps of metal on the road, they shouldn’t be let out !!

We’ve all seen the numpties driving around in the dark, or fog with no lights on, this is what DRLs are designed to prevent, only front lights unfortunately.
They are LED, so don’t get hot or use much power, and you’ll have to enable them for your Mot in a few years.
Seems a lot of fuss.

I thought there were some settings for them in the settings menu.

Have a read in the manual.

When the car is stationary they are off, when you start moving they come on.

If you turn on the sidelights or headlights they go off.

In the settings menu you can turn the DRLs off.

1 Like

My car is the base spec, there is no settings menu.

I will get used to it. Thanks everyone!

1 Like