No Maps Found - NVA-SD8110 MX5 NC Venture

Agree with scarletpimpernal that the problem probably lies with the SD card which, with the updates, is now too small for all the data. Never used TT but had a similar problem with my old Garmin when I loaded the North America maps onto the SD card. Worked fine at first but the first update rendered it useless so an upgrade to 32GB sorted the problem.

Thanks Alben. Iā€™d be surprised if available space is an issue on the SD card in my case. Iā€™ve got only Irish and English maps on it, so itā€™s only about half full. Ta, C

This is a possibility, and it might be because the card is forgetting some of its capacity.

If it is blank, reformat to FAT32 (as needed by the satnav) and try applying H2TestW.exe to it to find out a) how much space it actually has and b) how fast it really is.

I always test new storage devices with this easy to use little free tool. Big storage can take for ever, beware, but a mere 32GB should be less than a couple of minutes if fast or maybe half an hour if a snail.

Yes they do, I bought my 2014 car last December and Iā€™ve been able to register and update the maps, perhaps an update will result in a complete new set?

https://mazda-avn2.naviextras.com/shop/portal/deviceSelect

Just be aware of the capacity of the cards. From memory the big ones wonā€™t work hence why I said the 4GB one that does.

Thanks ScarletP. Iā€™m afraid that Iā€™m still stuck. When I put the newly-formatted SD card in the unitā€™s slot, it seems to me that nothing at all happens. Then of course TT Home doesnā€™t recognise the card because it doesnā€™t have the unit ID associated with it - just a reformatted card with nothing on it.
I think the unit should add a loopdir folder to the SD card. This may be where info such as ID reference is stored. When I first started to investigate this, I found quite a few recommendations to delete the loopdir folder and then, when it would be re-inserted in the unitā€™s slot, this folder would be re-created. This would never work for me.
I have loopdir backed up on my computer. When I copy it to the re-formatted SD card, TT Home then recognises the card as being associated with my unit. I can then download the maps that I need, however after this, I still have ā€œno maps foundā€. I wonder if the contents of the original loopdir folder (loopback.exe) are corrupt and my unit canā€™t generate a new one for me.
Sort of a Catch 22 situ. Ah well!

Good lord!!
What a night mare.
I will dabble with a new card in mine later to see what happens and what you should seeā€¦
I know some people have replaced there units with after market ones.
Just wondering whether one of those kind people could perhaps lend you the working card to see if ā€œIt May workā€?
Just a thought :thinking:

I think thatā€™s the link for the later (Alpine) AVN2, not for the unit which the OP has.

1 Like

Thank you sir.
I certainly would like to know if, when you put a newly-formatted SD card into your system, does the registration process add a new loopdir folder to the card.
I just hope however that it doesnā€™t somehow screw your system.
C

Well, sorry to say that I am now at a loss as to why you have the issues.
I am far from an expert as far as techy wizardry IT goes.
What I did for mine worked.
All I can suggest is to try and get a fully working SD card with the maps on to see if it works.(You never know).
Hopefully, you can find a local expert to try and help you.
I wouldnā€™t think a Mazda Main Dealer would be able to help apart from suggesting buying a new unit!
I may be totally wrong on that and would love to be proved wrong.
If and when you get it sorted I would be very interested to know the result.
All the best. :+1:

Thanks a mill ScarletP. Youā€™ve given great advice ā€¦ and hope!
Indeed, one further suggestion from a techie friend has been to try the reformatting on a PC rather than Mac. Donā€™t have a PC to hand (perish the thought). Going to give it a shot though and wiladv.
Where thereā€™s life thereā€™s hope.
Ta,
C

1 Like

I tried hard but failed miserably! :laughing::laughing:

I tried to help out another member with a back up I had of my AVN2 install for my 25AE. I am not sure if they got it working or not as have not heard back. But you are will to have the backup as well if it will help?

Edit: Iā€™ve messaged them to see if they resolved it.

The OP has a completely different system. He wonā€™t be able to install an AVN2 backup on it.

If the unit isnā€™t responding to two different cards I would suggest the first thing to check is the contacts in the socket. A torch and a magnifying glass might help.

Thanks Roadie. Iā€™ve checked the socket just to see if there might have been some foreign matter/debris hiding in there. Couldnā€™t find anything. Iā€™ll take your advice now re torch/magnifying glass.
Attn. ScarletP ā€¦ Reformatted to FAT32 using PC yesterday, to no avail.
Ta, C

1 Like

There are about seven little pads on the card and the same number of wiper contacts that connect to them. If one of them is jammed bent or broken it wonā€™t work. You never know. Donā€™t stick anything metal in there but if something needs a bit of persuasion a cocktail stick might do the trick. With most electronic stuff problems are more likely to be mechanical rather than electrical. A bad contact or soldered joint is more common than a failed component.

1 Like

I owned an NC Venture edition for 10 weeks, then upgraded to ND ZSport. During those 10 weeks I had constant issues with the same TomTom sat nav l saying no maps found. After a short while it would crash and nothing would work, including the radio, Bluetooth etc. I had it back to the supplying dealer twice for it to be fixed - a round trip of sixty miles twice for each visit, but they simply got it going again, only for it to fail hours later. They told me theyā€™d replaced the SD card for a new one (I think that was a lie). Anyway, I ended up taking it to a local dealer for them to repair it privately i.e. ā€˜not under warrantyā€˜, saw and fell in love with the ZSport, so swapped it.
In a nutshell, the Sanyo TomTom unit is a bit of a nightmare when it goes wrong. Hope you find a cure for it.

Thanks Kdelp for info. I have to say, I really do like the NC Venture, apart from the so-far-unresolved SatNav issue. I do envy you your Zsport. By all accounts, thatā€™s really a fine car.
Iā€™m getting to the stage however where Iā€™m beginning to think that thereā€™s no easy (cheap) solution to this one. Iā€™ve a feeling Iā€™ll be visiting a Mazda dealership one of these days.

Could the best resolution be to replace the whole unit with something else? Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s a standard (double din??) size.