No Maps Found - NVA-SD8110 MX5 NC Venture

Hi all,
I recently bought a second-hand MX5 NC 2012 Venture and I have a problem with the SatNav module.
When I start the car and go to the navigation module in the NVA-SD8110, I immediately see the screen below.

This screen appears with or without an SD card inserted. I cannot do anything else in Nav mode. I can only select another mode, FM, CD, etc.

I was hoping that I could perhaps do a factory reset on the unit, however I don’t even get a menu from which I can select this option.

TomTom persist in advising me that the maps data is missing or corrupt. I have updated the data on the SD card to no avail as, I think, that the unit is not even getting to access the card in the slot due to the error condition.

The previous owner says that the the problem first appeared when the car battery went flat and stayed flat for some time.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you.

I have the same unit.
Basically in a nut shell the unit does not recognise the SD card, hence nothing.
Do you have Tom Tom home installed on your computer?(Think you do reading again).
If not install it and register your card/account.
Then see if TT home recognises your SD card as a first step.
If it does it will be able to advise of updates etc. Likewise, it should be able to tell you if your card is good or not.
I have successfully copied cards in the past.
My problem at present is TT Home won’t work on my current version on an iMac. So hopefully you have windows.
TT are not the most helpful at times mind.
I “may” have further tests to check if that doesn’t work.:+1:

Have you tried the reset procedure, something like hold the power button in for 20-30 secs ignition on?

I just looked at that. Ejected my card. Switched off and back on again with no card. It’s the same as the picture above which “sort of” confirms the SD card is corrupted. Somehow need to get a good card with the maps on.

Sure it can be sorted but will need TT Home to do it, (I think).
PS. No offence but is the card the right way around and fully clicked into place?

Having confirmed TT Home and therefore you have access to subscribed maps?
(If it is the card of course).
What you need to do is get a Class 10 4Gb good quality SD card.
Ignition off.
Place the card and click into the slot.
Turn on ignition and let it all boot up through the cycle.
On completion of the cycle the unit will have formatted the new card and registered it to “your unit”.
At this stage you will still have nothing displayed (you never know though) so will not be able to access the menu to eject it properly.
So just remove it.
Then plug it into your PC and “all being well” it will register into your account and you can then go through the procedure of putting the maps on it. :crossed_fingers:

I did this twice with UK Maps and because I was going to Croatia needed another card to put that region on, which all worked successfully.

The current full european maps are too large for the standard supplied SD card,(which from memory is 2GB).

It took me a good year to work it all out by trial and error and as you have noticed with no help from Tom Tom.

I hope it works for you too. :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:

Install either Parallels desktop or VirtualBox on your iMac and you can use a Windows install. It will share your SD port and all should work.

That sound like a good plan and thanks. :+1:
Any idea which is best, or is it swings and roundabouts?
Hopefully, it won’t take me a year to sort that out!

Cost :-), VirtualBox is free, I use Parallels as it has more bells and whistles but VirtualBox should work well.

1 Like

Just to double check on the simple things first. Is the tab on the SD card in the unlock position?

Thanks ScarletP.
Yes, I do have TT Home up and running fine under OS 10.13.6 High Sierra - on an (elderly) iMac. It recognises the SD card product reference, which is registered with TT and all seems good in this respect. I’ve even been able to update maps for UK and Ireland successfully. When the card with the new maps is introduced to the head unit however, I’m still stuck with the “No maps found”. I just can’t get any further than this. I wonder if it’s the unit itself that has brain freeze of some sort.
C

Yes Mick, I have - sadly to no avail.
Ta, C.

1 Like

Indeed it is Roadie. Thanks, C.

Are you still using the original Mazda SD card?
For the sake of a new SD card, I would still try that.(as described above).
It is my strong opinion that the card is still faulty somehow.
As said, I get the same screen as you with no card, which would suggest that yours is not being recognised?
Likewise, I get all the other radio, cd etc etc.
Worth a try and certainly the cheapest option. :+1:

Have you tried disconnecting the battery, waiting a minute or so then reconnecting it?

Thanks Roadster. Yes, I have … no good I’m afraid. Ta, C

That’s very encouraging. Thanks for taking the trouble. I presume that when you re-introduced your SD card to the system after this test, it fired up again successfully?

I hope to be able to follow your instructions/suggestion tomorrow. When I get the new card, will I not have to format it first to MS DOS (FAT32) before putting it in the NVA unit/ignition on/boot up exercise? Does the SD card then somehow have the unit ID associated with it? How do you know what files to then put on the card? I made a reproduction of the Mazda card on my desktop. Maybe I just copy the contents of this folder (which includes new UK/IR maps) on to the new card, having gone through the registration exercise. What do you think? Ta, C

Indeed it does. I am no expert, but why I still think yours is a card problem. (Maybe totally wrong of course).

I can’t remember exactly but sure I would have Formatted it to MS DOS (FAT32).
As said, when done put the card into your NVA Unit and turn on the ignition (turn 1 or 2) and let it boot up to the screen when it will say “no maps found”.
During this process it will put your units ID (somehow) onto that card so when you plug it in to your PC and open Tom Tom Home it recognises it as belonging to your account.
As you have been on TT Home I assume that you have either upgraded to the current maps or at least you will have a back up copy which was saved by the system.
I would then download the maps onto the NEW card as a complete “Fresh update”.
My theory is, that will then hopefully work for you.
I am sure if you purchased a one time upgrade as opposed to a series of them, Tom Tom will make it available for you due to the problems you have had.

If you try and copy your card, you "may be " just copying a corrupt file onto the new card if that makes sense. I did try and just copy a card onto another one, but failed miserably with that.

Have you ever actually had the maps working at all?
Hopefully when it all works again if you go to the second screen you will see an icon “Remove SD Card” for future reference.

Good Luck and hopefully a positive result. :crossed_fingers: :+1:

Have you tried an update from the Mazda website?

No Steeve I haven’t. Do they provide SatNav system updates?