No ODB reader in car - ABS issues

1. My model of MX-5 is: Mark ii
  2. I’m based near: Cambridge
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: ABS management lights

Hello all, This is my first post. Thank you for any help you can provide!

I have purchased a Japanese import mark ii manufactured in year 2000. It’s failed its MOT on ABS. The light on the dashboard is on permanently. I have given the car to a couple of garages who cannot fix the ABS issue. This is partly because they cannot find any connection for an ODB reader which they believe is unusual, stating that typically all cars post 1996 should have one?

I believe that I have established the actual problem with the ABS. I have followed the below helpful youtube link which showed me how to find the fault codes by placing a wire into two connection points in the ‘diagnostic socket’ which is located in the bonnet area (passenger side). This did provide a couple of codes and I have now replaced a sensor. The problem is that without an ODB reader I cannot attempt a computer reset that can hopefully remove the permanent ABS light. This is quite critical to do as I currently have the car on the road with a failed MOT!

I have heard that you can complete some emergency braking and this might remove the ABS light. Pretty difficult to do while the car is without MOT.

Being non technical, I don’t know if there is some kind of plug in reader between (I think) the diagnostic socket and (I think) and ODB reader that will allow for 1) reading the problem 2) successfully resetting the fault codes once the correct part has been fitted? Or if there are any suggestions please on what I can do?

Also, for the Cambridgeshire/Hertfordshire/Bedfordshire/north west Essex, would you know anyone I could take the car to to resolve the problem? I live near to Royston, Herts.

Again, thanks so much if anyone can help. I’ve only driven the car for a couple of days!

Retrieving ABS Fault Codes for MX5 1989-2002 (youtube.com)

You can read fault codes by bridging out a couple of terminals in the diagnostic socket under the bonnet. The procedure is outlined in the link below. Take care to bridge the correct terminals. Depending on how long you’ve been a Club member, I think there was a guide in the December 2023 Soft Top Hardtop.

Great thanks for this. You replied to my initial post before I wrote my full update (being my first post I made the mistake of not placing the full explanation in the correct location) but I believe that you have answered a lot already .

Hi, not sure if you have tried to clear the codes or not, however if you haven’t, I would disconnect one side of the battery and then place your foot on the brake pedal for 30 seconds, reconnect the battery and see if anything comes back on?
Please note, disconnecting your battery will reset everything else and you may find that your car needs to relearn again, so it might be a bit “lumpy” for a few miles.

As for your light always being on, what codes did you get, also you say that the light was on constantly, which is concerning in it’s self?