No oil consumption on NC 3.5?

Have to ask :shushing_face:…is it “normal” for an NC 3.5 2.0 not to use oil? Silly question indeed but as NC’s have that reputation and i never have to top it up (it has 130.000 kms by now) i might maybe start wondering if i chek my oil level the right way…As i found out in some magazines the oil-chek procedure might vary on various cars. The way i chek it is after a trip, letting it cool down and once the engine is warm (not hot anymore) i pull the stick, chek it, clean it, refit it and chek it again. So am i doing something wrong or am i a “lucky devil”?

2 Likes

I’ve owned mine since 2012 (bought new, 2.0 litre engine, 45,000 miles now on the clock). The oil’s regularly checked & it’s never used any at all. :smiley:

I always check the oil when the engine’s cold (and on a level surface of course).

As above post, check when engine is cold. NC2 coming up to 60k miles never top up between services which are around every 5k miles/annually.
Previous NC1 took a small amount of oil between services (about a teacup full) same intervals/miles as above.

So your engine seems healthy and running ok.:+1:

1 Like

my 2011 2.0 uses none. I’ve just today changed the oil an the level was bang on before i drained it. i’m on 83000 now

NC1 2008 2.0 with 90k on the clock doesn’t use a drop.

1 Like

NC1 2006 1.8 with 58k on the clock no oil use as yet.

Thx guys :ok_hand: that’s exactly what i wanted to read!!! So those Duratec engines are not that bad (oil guzzlers…) after all. Some (general ) car-sources mentioned a warm engine for the oil cheks but i’m confident that as far as the MX-5 is concerned you folks know better.

76,000 on my 12 plate. Relentlessly stays above the sofisticated Mazda “two holes” calibration on the dipstick.

Mine doesn’t use any but the level is noticeably lower between hot and cold, so check it stone cold.

I did run it in carefully, trying to maximise cylinder pressure (higher gears, wider throttle openings but avoiding lugging).