No service history. At all

Depends what you’re after really. Obviously budget comes into it and if you’re set on an example of a certain age and below X mileage.

For a later Sport Tech I’d probably look at this. Stacks up better value wise in my view (subject to confirming service history!) and still with reasonable mileage:

Let me guess - Scotland? Doesn’t say a location, but it seems the further north you go the nicer the car for less money :joy:

Swansea that one.

If you can get the 11-digit reference number from the V5, then the .gov.uk MoT-checking site will let you download the actual MoT certificates, which include the details of the test centres which carried out the MoTs.

The price doesn’t look that great to me. I sold my 2015 PRHT earlier this year for not much more. It had a few more miles, but a full main dealer service history and 12 months extended warranty from Mazda UK.

2 Likes

Yes it’s apparent that having seen it, it’s overpriced. But I wish him luck. Someone will buy it.

Luckily I’m not in a rush. May be worth waiting till the worse weather sets in, always found drop tops were cheaper in the winter due to the slower market.

I think you are right to walk away from this one. It should be down to the owner to do the legwork on the service history if they are asking top dollar for a car in this situation, They should also get the battery charged or replaced and sounds like a test drive would be untaxed?
Also worth bearing in mind that you would need to see proof of the person selling it having the legal right to do so such as proof that they are the executor. As the V5 says, it does not prove proof of ownership.

1 Like

I completely agree. It’s out of my mind anyway, I just wondered if anyone had encountered this situation bafore. The car is obviously worth something to someone, but for me to buy it the price would have to have so much headroom for safety that no seller would go for it.

2 Likes

It may be expensive but if you book it into any Mazda main dealer they will give it a ‘health check’ including brakes, discs,tyres ,exhaust ,engine condition and video of all tte underside of the vehicle to expose any potential rust.If not purchasing this one try this next time.

The original dealer may not have seen the car since new but if it has been serviced by a Mazda dealer it should still have service history on the Mazda Digital Service record, which any Mazda dealer can access, or you can do it through the MyMazda app.

I had the same issue. I found out who did the mot’s via the DVLA website and asked if they knew who did the servicing. After a bit of digging I have full service history and the book stamped!

1 Like

Yes, that’s absolutely so and even if a non-franchised dealer serviced it they COULD have added to the digital record (that’s how I keep mine up to date as my Mazda dealer is dreadful).

Thank you both. I have decided that there are more than enough around to be picky and wait for a clearly loved, low mileage/low owners vehicle as my jumping off point. I’d sooner be patient and get the best I can buy than buy something I’m going to be unhappy with or have to spend money getting up to scratch. With this car he already wants strong money and I know it would need tyres, breaks and the underside looks a bit caked and unkept making it hard to see the true condition of the chassis. May as well wait.

Hi Dean, I am looking to sell my Mazda MX-5 nc3.75 sports graphite only 25.5k from new October 2015, service history available
I am in Peterborough area, you are welcome to contact me to see if my car would be suitable for you.
Regards Martin Howard

1 Like

Hi Martin, it does look very nice but not my colour. And I’m pretty sure it will be out of the price range I’m looking to spend. Thanks anyway I appreciate it :+1:

Please keep any offers/sales/pricing discussions to PM per the forum rules.

The service history for my June 2010 PRHT Sport Tech was held digitally and it’s linked to the VIN number not the registration plate. A friendly Mazda dealer maybe able to assist you.

11 posts were split to a new topic: Dean S550 Build Thread

I know not everyone is a fan of the ever-expanding Mike Brewer, but when he says “buy with your eyes” he’s absolutely right. A service history is only of limited use, as we all know garages cut corners on things like brake fluid changes and inspections. You have to know what you’re doing, though, or get in someone who does.

I have bought a couple of cars with little or no service history and both were absolutely peachy mechanically - no leaks, no oil consumption, excellent mpg, no rattles, no knocks.

The caveat to all this is that a FSH adds value if you ever resell - but few people expect it on a 10+ year-old car.

Thanks Roger, which is exactly what I did in the end. But a couple of things had to happen, I had to see through the fact the car needed a little tidying and the price. Once the price was right, the rest was acceptable.

Turns out the car is very good so far, removing the coating of dirt revealed an almost rust free car, and aside from a couple of the expected minor bodywork niggles for a car it’s age the rest in in very very good shape indeed. :+1:

Agree, some initial service history is helpful else buy ‘on spec’. My NC2 had early Mazda service history then a few years of ‘odds and sods’ (all MOTs perfect, mind) and then I decided to bring it up to date with a Mazda service when the dealer offered a good price for the basic service + MOT. The key thing above all else is the condition of the underside. A full service history with Mazda by a non-enthusiast owner is fine, but completely negated if no one bothered to point out to them over the years that it might be worth undersealing the car! Happens.