Noisy diff on mk2.5 svt sport

1. My model of MX-5 is: 2004 svt sport
  2. I’m based near: Billericay
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: noisy differential

Hi, I recently purchased the 2004 sport. I can hear the diff whining which I don’t think is normal but because I never drove one before I am not sure if this is normal. I am used to the 1.6 mx which does not make such noises.
I will check the oil at the wkend (weather permitting) but apart from that, not sure what else to look out for.
The handling etc is all ok and I can’t see any uneven tyre wear at the back.
Any help and advice will be gratefully accepted.

The LSD are known to break the tabs, if so you’ll find bits when you change the oil.

If car has been put on rolling road frequently for MOT’s the pressure plates break off in the Fuji diff. Mine started whining and then crunching. Changed to a Torsen diff. Unfortunately they cost between £600/750 second hand.

I have a 2004 svt too. I didn’t notice any whining noise but when I came to change the diff oil soon after acquiring the car, I found a broken tab on the drain plug. A little bit of rooting around with a magnet produced another three. I believe there are eight tabs in the fuji lsd. After that I changed it for a second hand torsen. As mentioned, it wasn’t cheap though (about £575 at the time) and I paid a local garage to fit it. :face_with_diagonal_mouth: I suppose I may never fully utilise the lsd but it’s back to something like original spec now :smirk:

Thank you all. I didn’t realise this was a common issue. I will see what I find when I change the oil and will start looking for a torsen diff. This wasn’t in the car budget :worried:.

Just had a quick look online and there seem to be type 1 and type 2 torsen diff? Would you know what the difference is and which one I should go for my svt sport?

I can’t remember now but I watched some helpful videos and there are other posts on this forum which helped a lot. Mine was a 3.6:1 ratio so I looked for one of those.

I was recommended the Type 2 as the better one to get. Explanation of differences below:

The Type I can be designed for higher torque bias ratios than the Type II, but typically has higher backlash and the potential for noise, vibration, and harshness (NVH) issues , and requires a precise setup/installation. The later Torsen T-2 (Type B) uses a parallel gear arrangement to achieve a similar effect.

Thanks again for your help on this. Would any type 2 fit as looking for second hand ones online, some have come out of a 5 speed gearbox mx and mine is a 6 speed?

Mine is a six-speed and from the research I did at the time it seems it was fitted with a 3.6:1 ratio lsd. I got one from Prestige Spares on Facebook who are breakers dealing mostly in mk2 and mk2.5’s.

They do offer some warranty on certain parts. My lsd leaked after it was fitted and had to come out to be sealed and refitted but they adjusted the price in consideration after I contacted them.

I also replaced the drive shaft oil seals when it was fitted. I hope you find one, mine has been fine since it was fitted over two years ago having covered about 10,000 miles since. :slightly_smiling_face:

Many thanks. I hope it works out otherwise it is going to be the shortest car ownership for me. I will look at the company you mentioned as well as some of the other known ones. Have a good Easter and thanks again for your advice.

1 Like