Noisy headlight!

1. My model of MX-5 is: NC1
  2. I’m based near: Lymington
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Headlight noise

My near side headlight makes a weird whirring hunting noise, any ideas?

It is the beam levelling motor. Do both headlights do it?
These are controlled by the little roller-switch by your knee.

Move the switch to different settings and watch both beams to see if they move up and down.

If one works and the other doesn’t then there is a fault with the non-working one or its wiring, usually something has stopped the headlight from moving and the motor keeps on trying…

If neither work then there is a problem with the switch or its wiring.

A switch fault is unlikely, BUT, it is in about the right place for a leaking scuttle grommet on the driver’s side to let water into it. Driver’s side grommet is not usually a problem unless a lot of debris is blocking the scuttle drains into the wings, and parked facing uphill.

1 Like

It’s only the near side, the off side goes up and down with the switch OK

Then the fault lies with the motor or the gearbox or the headlamp being stuck.

Bad news, because it is very difficult to work on in situ, the fusebox and wiring get in the way.

But first, check there is nothing jamming it. Twig, bit of dislodged wiring, who knows?

Most people find it much easier to take off the bumper to remove the headlamp, and then it MIGHT be possible to repair it. More likely a replacement motor/gearbox or lamp from a breaker etc will be the simplest answer.

1 Like

Is there a fuse for the levelling circuit, at least if I could pull that out then the noise would stop until I can fix it properly

I don’t know.

My old wiring diagram doesn’t show one. Maybe someone else with the better diagram might know.

I assume you’ve already discovered it is live when the headlights are on, even if the ignition is off.