Non Standard Steering Wheel Airbag

It would have come with this steering wheel as standard.

https://forum.mx5oc.co.uk/uploads/default/original/3X/3/5/358f5d8fd70a88e7b9f153d6b3eec479d52bb2db.jpeg

I would say the prospects of getting a wheel like this are nigh on zero. There were not that many of these late Mk1s imported, let alone the V-Spec versions.

If you fit a Classico, you might need some bits and bobs from a late non-airbagged car, to get the indicators to work correctly.

I would not recommend removing the spacer and retaining the airbag wheel.

This 1996 Miata was crashed in 2016. Airbag worked perfectly.

IMG_1153-copy-e1457454673815

The evidence is that airbags, certainly after 1992, don’t expire and remain viable.

https://www.edmunds.com/car-safety/do-car-airbags-expire.html

This makes a lot of sense. I don’t think I have ever seen that type of steering wheel for sale on Ebay or Gumtree. So it looks like I won’t be able to return it to stock. Your thoroughness with replies in regards to airbag expiry answers the effectiveness question.

Oh well. I wanted an aftermarket one but looks like a seat change or foamectemy are my options

One of the hardest parts to get hold of for Merlot/Gleneagles owners is the original radio.
I’ve seen three come up for sale in about 5 years, but they do come up every so often (the latest being last week) and you just have to keep a regular eye out and not limit your searches to just the UK (mine came from Italy).

So, don’t give up on returning it to stock, just accept it’s a long process with special editions :slight_smile:

The car is question is already factory spec, and was a normal catalogue trim level, not a special edition.

The market dynamics of grey imports meant that not many phase 2 Roadsters were exported to the UK (most imports were exported when 10 years old, and by 2006-7, exchange rates had pretty much killed the trade). Realistically, you need to track the Japanese auction sites.

I would not recommend a foamectomy; its destructive and irreversible, and might well be unsatisfactory.

A pair of seats will be £200-400. A brand new 340mm Nardi Classico is about £300, plus the boss, from Driftworks. Used Classicos are £100-150, but often in poor condition. And there are cheaper wood steering wheel options. Mountneys are about £120-200 plus boss.

Stock Classico is 360mm.

Fitting a Classico will give the car the appearance of a 1993-95 factory car.

But I’ve had both. For driving experience, I would go for leather. The wood rim is slippery, and you will find yourself driving differently. Also, used wood wheels are both often in poor condition with fantasy prices. I paid £40 for a leather Nardi, which was a lot easier to restore than a wood rim (“restored” wood Nardis generally look terrible).

I have no idea how many late mk1 V-Specs came into the UK. I will keep an eye on yahoo auctions. Are there any companies that provide a buying and shipping service for japanese auction sites?

Thanks for the advice. I have seen the right boss and wheel on the driftworks website. I just don’t want to look like a drift weapon so my choices will have to be the classic range as you recommended.