Non Standard Steering Wheel Airbag

1. My model of MX-5 is: Eunos Mk1 V-Spec
  2. I’m based near: Edinburgh
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Steering Wheels

Hi Guys.

I have a 1997 Eunos V-Spec that I purchased in 2019. After some research I am sure it was supposed to have a wooden Nardi as standard as the gear knob and handbrake are wooden. It came with an airbag Momo steering wheel instead (370mm). My intent is to replace it with an aftermarket Nardi. My questions are:

1. What are the chances this non standard steering wheel airbag works?
  2. Will the crash sensor wiring exist for every import car or only for factory spec airbag cars?

My reasoning is that if this airbag steering wheel is not operational then I would like to replace it with an aftermarket smaller diameter wheel. Any advice would be helpful.

Cheers
BritishRacingBean

if the indicator stalks are straight it was built without airbags. If not the airbag is standard

You won’t know till you deploy it :smiley:

I had a Mk3 Golf and replaced its original airbag steering wheel with a non-airbag one, in fact in doing so I discovered all but one of the crash sensors were missing, presumably due to a previous accident (also discovered a whole load of broken window glass under the carpets).

Having read all the warnings about how they can easily deploy even off the car etc. etc. I was extremely careful in removing my steering wheel.

While unbolting the wheel I kept myself as far away as possible to avoid a steering wheel exploding in my face.
I put it in a wrapping of bubble wrap, and put it in a sturdy cardboard box.
Treated it basically like it could explode at any moment.

When I took it in for disposal the person opened the box, unwrapped it, and threw the steering wheel about 25 feet into a metal skip.

1 Like

Thanks. I will check this tonight. Hoping for straight indicators. What a weird thing to say.

1 Like

The explosives are not supposed to be reliable after an extended time - some makers say 14 years. This is also about the average life of a UK car. It would never be economical to replace the airbags on a car of that age, even if you could get the parts.

Beyond that age, it’s best to drive as if it won’t work. I don’t think age would ever cause one to deploy spontaneously - more likely that it just wouldn’t fire when triggered.

Wouldn’t you always drive like that?

1 Like

Stalks are straight. No airbag. Can I ask how you know this detail about the indicator stalk?

Defensive driving. Like I would do on my motorbike.

3 Likes

Not sure how true it is but I understand that in the immediate aftermath of air bags being introduced to the US market, to better protect vehicle occupants not wearing seat belts, road fatalities actually went up !

I wish I had a garage. Cannie get one in Edinburgh without selling organs.

All late 1995 Eunos Roadsters, airbag or not, had bent stalks. In the UK, late-non-airbag cars had straight early type stalks.

If it is a 1997 Eunos Roadster (as opposed to an earlier car that has been misregistered), there are a few tell tales:

1. The VIN on all late 1995+ cars is NA8C-4xxxxxx. If its got this vin, this is definitive.
  2. The rear Roadster badge on late cars has the letters picked out in green. On 1993-95 cars, the letters are in red, and on earlier cars, its black.
  3. The engine cam cover on these late cars uses plain steel bolts not chrome, and the breather pipe from the cam cover is a rubber hose not chromed pipe.
  4. On the interior, the door grips are the early long types. The 1993-95 cars had a short black grip. The 1995+ seats have a short squab. The carpet is no longer a loop pile, but a moulded “fuzzy” pile. The hazard warning switch is black, not red.

This is the October 1995 brochure:

On the V-Special, the standard steeing wheel was a Nardi, but not the Classico used on the earlier V-Specs. Instead, the Nardi was a modern style, still with a wood rim, but with a rubber crashpad (non-removeable); at first glance, it kind of looks like a airbag wheel.

All models of this age had an optional airbag wheel, and in all cases, it was black leather rimmed, even though the shifter and handbrake handle was wood.

1990-93 1.6 V-Special Interior (this is actually a 1992-93 V-Spec 2 model due to MSSS stereo, and stainless steel speaker covers)

10301006_199108vin

This shows the 1993-1995 1.8 V-spec, note the door grips and pockets

IMG-4077

A late 1995 V-Spec, with the late style non-air bag Nardi steering wheel

02_l3

Note the seat shape, and the bent stalks. Also, no chrome rim to the guages (this came about earlier in 1995). The late cars also had a dummy low-high oil pressure gauge. This car also still has the factory radio, which superficially looks the same as the earlier silver MSSS, but is entirely different (the tombstone radio surround on these later Eunos Roadsters is also different, with a wider radio aperture, not fitted to UK cars.

It sounds like you have an earlier car that has been misregistered when imported. maybe it was imported in 1997, and registered as a 1997 car. I have seen Mk1 imports on 51 plates.

Now, on these later cars there is an issue if you want to replace the steering wheel. All airbagged cars have a steel spacer on the steering column, which I suspect is to do with making sure the airbag deploys in the right direction.

But, Mazda, on the late JDM non-airbag cars, kept this spacer. Consequently, the boss of the steering wheel is off centre. If a centric boss is fitted (ie the hole for the spline is dead centre), then the steering wheel is too low and will rub on the legs. You can safely remove the spacer to restore the correct position. If fitting a factory wheel and boss (ie a Classico off another car), the boss will rub on the plastic stalk shroud, so you have to cut some plastic away. Also, this cover will push up onto the gauge cover if the column spacer is removed.

On the NA Eunos Roadster, there are two possible airbag wheels.

In about 1991, Mazda made a airbag an option, and the wheel appears to be identical to the airbag wheel fitted in the US; 4 spokes with two horn buttons;

unnamed

Late Eunos Roadster airbag wheel

srltd

This photo also shows the black hazard switch.

This is my later 1995 N-reg S-Spec 2, with the standard non-airbag Momo. Note the bent, or dog leg stalks, which should be present on a 1997 V-Spec.

And the stalks in more detail

Steering column spacer

Fitting a shop option Classico, with the spacer fitted

Spacer removed

Dismantled US car showing the spacer in situ

Similarly dismantled early RHD car; no spacer

1 Like

Airbag alone reduces injuries by 30%. Seatbelt alone reduces injuries by 50%. The combination is 60%.

I think you might be thinking of passenger airbags and infants. So switches were installed to turn that airbag off when a child seat was fitted.

1 Like

I should correct myself. Some UK cars did go to dog-legged stalks. A 1997 Berkley edition, with non-air bag Momo

But a 1996 Monaco, which had the base spec polyurethane wheel, straight indicators

A Gleneagles edition; a phase 2 car due to the black hazard button, but straight stalks

https://forum.mx5oc.co.uk/uploads/default/original/3X/5/a/5ac17ece5a357e04a9d35382a59d73353652f15b.jpeg

And to throw further fuel, a 1997 Monza edition interior, an ugly wheel, possibly the worst on a MX5

1997 MX5 1.8i

Airbag wheel option

Dakar edition brochure shots

But what a Dakar dash actually looked like

There are strange features I’ve not noticed before in over 20 years. The brochure shows straight stalks. What was delivered has dog legged stalks, so Mazda mocked up a car for the photos.

But the Dakars were obviously some sort of transition. The Momo wheel is a factory wheel, not aftermarket as fitted to the Gleaneagle. As such, it has an offset hub. So it has to be fitted to a car with doglegged stalks. But the hazard switch is the earlier all red style. But what is strange, in the brochure photo, the car shown has a black hazard switch…

This promo shot for the Dakar is absolutely appalling in 2024

dakar1

Mazda has gone to some sort of quarry (because desert), got someone dressed up in some sort of Turkish Delight style…

1 Like

Likewise the Gleneagles brochure shows a red hazard button but your linked photo has black, while the steering wheel is vastly different.
One interesting thing is most of the GE’s I’ve seen have a black panel where the electric window switches would have been, however my own (and the brochure) shows it as being walnut style - makes me wonder what colour my hazard button is now :smiley:
(and interestingly it also shows a red alarm/immobiliser light in the centre by the blank for the electric mirrors switch which I’ve seen on some but not others).

The tartan shown on the gaiter and handbook holder isn’t the GE tartan used either.

Ignoring the “2024” the expression on the persons face hardly looks enthusiastic, more like “who dumped this here”.

UK cars also continued with the older tombstone; the later version exclusive to Japan, allowed DIN-E radios to be fitted flush.

They probably used an office employee from Sheerness to save on costs. That headdress hides her ethnicity pretty well.

Thank you for the very detailed reply, it has made me look into the situation further. Upon more investigation I have determined that the airbag wheel is fitted which makes me question what Nardi wheel came with the car as standard.

1. The Vin starts with NA8C - 4xxxxx
  2. The stalks are in fact bent and not straight. I misinterpreted the advice on this thread.
  3. Airbag light does go on when ignition is on. I still don’t know if the crash sensors exist but its likely.
  4. I have attached some pictures of the interior. It looks to have a mix of the v-spec interior (tan) and the wheel from a 1997 Mx5 1.8i as per your correction post.

I am now reconsidering my plans to change this to a non standard airbag but some comments on this forum seems to say that a 1997 airbag probably wont function correctly anyway. I wonder if its possible for me to remove the spacer you mentioned in order to get some more space. My left leg always hits the wheel when using the clutch.

Once again, thanks for your detailed reply. Love mx5 folks.

I wonder if a foam(s)ectomy would also help with that.