Norfolk Fives Mid Week Run - Castle & Fish & Chips Wednesday 10th April

This is the first of David’s Mid Week Runs in 2024. These take place on the 2nd Wednesday each month from April to October exc September.

Wednesday 10th April is Framlingham Castle followed by lunch, fish & chips is an option, at Dunwich beach.

Built in the 12th century by Roger Bigod, Earl of Norfolk, Framlingham Castle was home to the Dukes of Norfolk for over 400 years.

It was later owned by the first woman to be named a duchess in her own right and in the 16th century it became the scene of a national drama starring Mary Tudor.

Our visit will be for about an hour and a half. Some excellent historical interpretation, super wall walks at over 10m high and exterior walks to appreciate the site and splendour of those walls.

Meet 9.15am at B&Q South NR4 6FB for 9.30am departure run of about an hour’s run to Framlingham, parking at the Castle, Church Street, IP13 9BP.

First, we’ll go for a coffee at the Common Room café just a few minutes away. Then return to visit the castle which is an English Heritage site. Members free entry otherwise about £12.50 pp, concessions about £11. (10% discount for tickets purchased in advance online). Visit for about 90 minutes.

Next a half hour’s run to Dunwich beach car park IP17 3EN for lunch at the Flora Tea Room (a Club member recommends the fish & chips). Afterwards, time permitting, a brief stroll on the beach.

Return run of just over the hour on B roads to the A47/A140 South Norwich junction. As usual members can peel off enroute or find a more direct route for home.

RUN NOW CLOSED - catering been advised of numbers.

David & Rosemary
Richard
Mark
Bob & Tracey meet at castle/cafe
Laurie
Peter & Allie meet at castle/cafe
Rona & Phil
John & Penny meet at the castle/cafe
Simon

Wow we were so fortunate with the weather given wet and windy conditions the day before and it started to rain as we returned to home. The sun shone on us at Framlingham Castle where are visit started with coffee in the town and ended with fish & chips at the cafe on Dunwich beach all very sociable. Great to meet up with new members or at least new to me as well seeing some regular mid-weekers. Nobody fell from the dizzying heights of the castle walls or got lost enroute - umm a day without drama just a good time. Maybe I need to arrange a scary moment on the next run to Kings Lynn. Ah - enter one of the cars, unknown to its owner, for the car auction.
Thanks for your support today. David.

re. parking. There’s always one or in this case two.

Sounds great David. Please count me in. (As luck would have it my sister bought me membership of English Heritage for my birthday.)

Richard W.

Hi David, Tamsin and I would love to go HOWEVER I am having a full knee replacement on the 4th April so I doubt I will be able to get in and out of the MX5 after a week :smiling_face_with_tear: . Hope to make the next one :smile:. K & T.

Brilliant I’ll be there. We will have to look out for Ed Sheeran!

We would like to join you for this. Would go direct to Framlingham and meet you there.
Bob and Tracey Cracknell

Sounds a great run, especially fish 'n chips on the way back. It’s now in my diary. Thanks so much for organising it.
Laurie

Richard,
Will add your name, missed you on Club night but we know you are there in spirit.
David

Mark,
Your name will be added. Not sure about Ed S though.
David

Bob & Tracey,
If we don’t see you in the castle car park then we’ll meet in the Common Room cafe, just 50yds down the street about 10.30am.
David

Kevin & Tamsin,
Hope to meet up later this year. Your the fourth person I know whose having or had a knee op recently. I won’t make any jokes 'cos I’d only be pulling your leg … oops. I’m sure the Weds regulars join me in wishing you well Kevin and for speedy recovery.
David

Many thanks. Looking forward to meeting you.

We will come meet you at b anb q

Hi,
Brilliant that you are joining us. Memory loss this ends, your names please.

David

We hope to join you. We will meet you at the Castle Car Park.
Peter and Allie

Peter & Allie,
See you at the castle car park or look for us in the Common Room 30m’ish away in Castle st.

David

Please add Phil and me, will see you at B&Q car park, thanks.

Rona & Phil,

You’ll be on the list. Shaping up to be a good crowd for a mid-week run.
Fingers crossed the rain eases off.

David

Hi David,we cant make b&q but will meet you sll in the cafe around 1030 if that
s ok

That’s fine. See you either in the Nat Trust castle car park or just down the road in the Common Room for coffee.

David,
I will be coming on this first midweek run with you. Wife is working and can’t get time off so Tina won’t be coming. Show me meeting at the start and coming along.
Simon