Northumberland

We’re thinking of spending a week or so in early August up in the Northumberland area.

Last went there c 15 years ago!

Any tips on good routes to drive, places to go and B&B places to stay would be welcome

1 Like

I have to say that my experience a couple of years ago left me a bit disappointed regarding the top surface on many of the minor roads.  Having said that, the A68 is a great driving road up to the magnificent views from Carter Bar.  The Cheviots and the small towns like Rothbury are worth visiting.

That help ?

Ali D

Alnwick gardens and castle, alnmouth , sea houses- trip out to see the seals and puffins, Bamburgh castle, Armstrongs house and gardens, can’t remember the name of it , near Rothbury. Howick hall and arboretum, Craster for fresh smoked kippers, Barter books, big second hand bookshop in The old station at Alnwick

Lindisfarne of course, Amble, you might even take a trip into Newcastle. Take a look on Northumberland Tourist Information.

We go up there regularly

Was it  NT Cragside?

Lovely place to visit.

Yep, that’s it, Cragside. Quite a place!

We did most of the above places going as far as Berwick on Tweed and calling at most seaside towns and villages on route.

We based ourselves in Ashington (because it was cheap) and sort of fanned out from there each day. We also did Hadrians wall, well part of,  NT Wallington nr Morpeth which is a nice town to visit too. Our favourites would be Bamburgh castle, the beach there is pretty stunning too, Alnwick and of course NT Cragside.

Of the places we wouldn’t most likely visit again I would say Berwick and Ashington, although we loved the Premier inn there at the latter it’s not really a touristy place.

Thanks for help - we are begining to formulate a plan

The centre of Berwick is a bit ‘meh’ like a lot of towns these days, I’d say a visit is worthwhile if only to walk the walls, not many places you can circumnavigate a place on medieval walls these days, the views of the bridges are spectacular too. 

Berwick is also the home of Goodwood Sportscars too…

Been a good week weather and driving wise :wink:

There are some great roads and some well placed potholes too.

Definitley happy to come back again

Holy Island is worth a visit

It was. Done on a sunny day when the tide was out . . . . .

If you want a great driving road take the A69 past Hexham toward Haydon Bridge the join the A686 for Alston then either continue to Hartside pass or turn off in Alston for Nenthead. Great driving roads but keep to speed limits in built up areas with speed camera vans.