Number plate company to AVOID

I think what everyone has missed is the fact that (by law) the plate manufacturer HAS to request your V5 as proof of your entitlement to that plate, at the very least. Otherwise, they are selling show plates only, regardless. Unless they were bought as such and the required information wasn’t provided (or asked for by the supplier) maybe the DVLA would be interested in that part of this story? Even Halfords (mentioned earlier) would not make a set of plates without that information being provided first. That’s my understanding after searching far and wide for plates on line that were described as fully road legal. TBH though, I don’t think mine are 

Barrie

Very true Barrie.

The supplier needs to see ORIGINAL documents to prove your name, address and that you are allowed to use the registration. so to buy legal plates online you must first send the supplier your driving license or bank or utility bill plus your V5. Original documents only remember, e-mailing or faxing is no good.

The way round this is that they supply show plates made to the same specification as legal plates. While by law they have to add supplier, postcode and BS markings to legal plates there is nothing to stop them adding this information to show plates.

So yes Barrie. your plates are illegal. They just happen to be made using the same machine, with the same materials and to the same specification as legal plates.

I’ve got two sets of plates myself. One that don’t conform to the legal guidelines on spacing, font and other minor points and another to the legal requirements for MOT time. But those aren’t actually legal either because I bought them online.

What a wonderful system it is. Only registered suppliers can make legal plates and they have to jump through all the legal hoops to ensure that the buyer is legally entitled to display the plates on a vehicle. However there is nothing stopping anyone, registered supplier or not from making plates to the same specification without any of the checks.

I’m sorry they made you feel uncomfortable. The original problem was caused by the extra markings on the plate, which I would not have had a problem with. 

Regarding what others have said about the legality of number plates vs show plates. It does not become a show plate just because you say it does. Any number plate with a valid UK DVLA issued registration number is regarded as a number plate and must comply with the law. Official source here:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/784676/inf1952-information-to-be-kept-by-registered-number-plate-suppliers.pdf

see section 8

First world problems.

Lovely car, but is that writing I can see on the left side of the number plate?

Craig Attacks: My sympathies for your dissatisfaction with what appears to a sin of omission by your supplier.  That is to say, omitting to tell you all you wanted to know - on purpose.  However, what on earth were you thinking to put the plate on the nearside corner, it’s an abomination and ruins the substantial efforts by the manufacturer to provide a superb car. Looks like it’s got a limp. Comparing it to your annoyance at the additional print on the plate puts things into perspective.  By the way, welcome to the club! 

Tin hats on lads, it’s all kicking off.

Somebody lock this one quick.

Stick-ons and plastic UK plates are equally disruptive to the lines of the MX5, it could be said. Mazda never intended the MX5 for the European markets, so the front plastic plate holder, rectangular finisher and floglight were all last minute bodge ups. Owner attempts to add stick on plates do nothing. Only solution is to go totally illegal. No plates.

You drive a NC though. Each to their own, many like offset plates, some like NC blobby MX5s, which from some angles, if we are applying anthropomorphic terminology to the MX5, look like they’ve been at the pork pies a bit.