Number plate revival?

My 1st car was a 1962? Mini which many of you will relate to as your 1st car brings back fond memories.
The registration number consisted of 3 numbers and 3 letters i.e. 123 ABC…‘example’, this particular number i am looking for according to DVLA is no longer in existence
Is there any way ‘my’ reg number can be revived?
Many thanks.
Dave.

God, how old am i now!

1 Like

It’s been a while since I read it but i was looking into something similar. Turns out that once the car dies, so does the plate.

Thanks for the reply, i suspected as much, the plate sits in my heart as the three letters spell out my Dads middle name Arthur, silly i know but as he passed almost eight years ago on the 29th (leap year) i would love to get that plate back.

My first car was also a Mini (colour Surf Blue) and had the registration number 3AFR. How I wish I had kept the number, although it wasn’t quite so easy to transfer in those days!

There must be many of older members, like me, who remember the car registration numbers they wish they had retained. For me it was on my Triumph Vitesse, 1066HA. Yes, as I understand it the number dies with the car though I would have thought the DVLA could make a mint re-issuing them.

2438 PF the reg. of my Lambretta 200. I wish I had kept the Lambretta & the reg.
I tried without success to retrieve the reg. number.
I paid £200 for the Lambretta 200, a £ for each cc way back in '63.
The Lambretta 200 would be worth a small fortune now!

340 YKL

Missing you so much.

Its no coincidence that I have retained

K34 YEL on my Eunos instead of going for a personalised plate…

Duplicate post.

My MGA 1500 in 1964
1 MGA 1500

1 Like

No it can’t, unless you have the vehicle in which case it can sometimes be done. If you search DVLA they will tell you if it is slated for a forthcoming auction (unlikely of course).

I like old dateless plates, I have a couple of random ones (I don’t want my name on my car and I don’t mess around with spacing etc.!)

At the moment DVLA are committed to not reissuing old numbers - just in case the original car has survived somewhere. However, they will only then reissue the number to the car if comprehensive documentation can be supplied as evidence relating the specific number to the specific car. There have even be instances recently where they have refused to accept and old Registration Document (their own document!) as suitable evidence!

I have looked at the MOT History, Eurocarparts registration check and the DVLA auction history for the 6 registration mentioned so far on this thread with no hits :frowning_face:
The DVLA has five live and four timed number plate auctions a year and makes a lot of money from the sales of registration numbers.
These numbers are all owned by the DVLA. Number plates are borrowed by car owners or held on retention but when these arrangements stop, the ownership automatically reverts to the DVLA. It would appear that all six of those numbers are now owned by the DVLA. I would hazard a guess that the right contact in the DVLA could arrange for these retained numbers to appear in a future auction; certainly worth an enquiry

Check this one out, it’s not a cherished number but it was on the first ever car I owned, circa 1975.
DBD 777K
It’s still on the same car to this day. It’s about the only reg number I remember from all cars owned. I actually saw it in a car park around 6-7 years ago, it was looking in fine shape.

As a matter of interest can you get a show plate made up for the reg you want as long as it’s not used on the road? There are plenty of show plate makers online and I assume you don’t need a V5 to make one? Just thinking that for nostalgia purposes you could have one made up the same as the original. Obviously not road legal.

I once jokingly suggested as a birthday present that I’d like my other cars’ original registration number - last laugh was on me when I discovered it was actually for sale !
(and yes, I bought it :grin:).

1 Like

There was a discussion on here recently about show plates. Turns out that it does not matter if you think they are show plates or not, the fact that it displays a registration makes it subject to all the legal shenanigans associated with a real plate. Displaying a reg number that does not belong to you may well get you in hot water.

Having said that my garage wall is plastered with my old plates from bikes gone by so I think I might be a master criminal in that regard

I was thinking more for hanging in your garage too as a reminder. Doesn’t have to be on the car of course. You could have it made up to look exactly as the old one.

Who wouldn’t find this ‘joyful’.

1 Like