NVA-SD-8110 unit wont switch on

Hello Fellow MX5 people!

I bought a 2013 Venture edition last year, and I love it, Best thing Ive bought!

Its just recently done something wierd that I hoped some of you might have come across before,

The Entire infotainment system - NVA-SD-8110 seems to be dead… the screen doesnt display the time, and power button doesnt do anything to switch it on. It does seem to have power, as pressing the CD eject button I can here a motor moving inside.

I cant figure out a way to reset it without the screen operating, so I’m a bit of a loss,

Anyone else had this problem?

Would greatly appreiciate if theres a simple solution I can do myself that anyone knows about!

Thanks!

Tom

Have you done the restart procedure from the manual?
With ignition on press and hold the power button for 20 seconds

Hi, Thanks for your reply!

I hadn’t found that in the manual- must have missed it, so far I’ve only tried as far as 15 seconds from what I could see online, I’ll try 20 seconds when I get home tonight!

Should the engine be running, or just the ignition on at the time?

Many thinks!

Ignition on or engine on makes no difference. Manual page 10. Press and hold the power button until the unit indicates it is restarting then release the power button. Good luck

No luck, unfortunatley!

I held the power button for about 30 seconds before I heard the cd motor whirring, but it didnt do anything beyond that .
I tried putting a CD in to kick start it, the motor worked fine accepting the cd and ejecting it, but no sign of anything once it was in!

Could this be a fuse issue or something?

If anyones had this problem before, any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Tom

You could check the fuses in the passenger side foot well kick panel. It may well be that the CD loading function is powered by permanent live while the unit itself is on the switched live ign acc circuit. Odd problems with electrics in NC’s have been caused by the scuttle grommets leaking and allowing water into that fusebox. If you can’t find anything there will probably be a fuse or fuses in the rear of the unit which would require it’s removal. I’ve never had mine out but I have seen one or two posts where others have removed for upgrade.

Hi,

THanks for your reply, and sorry for the delayed reply!

I took it to halfords, they checked all the fuses and they’re fine, so sadly it’s the unit at fault-
on the plus side, there’s a lot of options for replacement units that I think will be future-proofing the car- I’m going to look into the options later

Thanks for your input!

Tom

final thought - did you try the 30 second power button hold down with the SDcard removed?

Hi Tom, Did you replace your NVA-SD-8110 unit with a new one? I have been trying to find a harness to connect to the existing wiring. Its much smaller than the typical harness connection?

Hi there,

Sorry about the delayed reply,

I havent done yet,as with everything thats been going on recently,it took a back seat, so to speak (or would that be the trunk?)

I did take it to Halfords where they deduced the unit was the problem, didnt remove it though so i couldnt tell you much about the wireing behind it. He did say that its a standard double din(i think?) so most modern units will be compatable?

Sorry I cant be much help! has yours failed too?

Hi Captainhaddon,

Sory about the dellaed reply!

I tried that too, as it sadly didnt work either… I took the car for a service last week, adn asked them to take a look, however in an act of defiant irony, it started working again the same day I booked the service! has been working fine ever since, so they couldnt identify a problem!
They carried out a software update, but im not convinced itl last, so am still looking at what new units could be fitted instead, just hasnt realy been possible while everythings in lockdown!

Thanks for your suggestions, anyway!