Obd scanner

1. My model of MX-5 is: __nd
  2. I’m based near: __chard
    can anyone recommend a reasonabley priced obd scanner no more than a £100 just thinking it would be handy to have one in the tool box

I was a tad optimistic about these and it came highly recommended.
Pretty sure it was a MX5 repairer on here.:thinking:
I bought it, used it and it works.
Keep it in the car and works with any car (apparently).
Obviously, if you don’t have a decent phone then it’s no good.

I bought the earlier version of this (link below) a few years ago to read codes on my daughters Kia. It worked great, also used on my daily driver, it matched that of the local garage readings on his expensive kit, he came up with the same code.
Whether the ND needs more sofisticated readers I’m unsure, handy for the toolbox and affordable too.

Please beware and spend your money wisely, ensure the scanner you choose can communicate with the likes of ABS, SRS and the like. The engines on Mazda are pretty bulletproof, not so much the ancillaries.
Most of the “decent” ones under £100 are subscription based, this is OK as after the 1st year you only pay if you have a problem and it is certainly cheaper than a trip to the dealer.
I an not going to recommend any particular version as could cause upset with some.
Good luck and don’t forget google is your friend.

I have a cheap one, had it about 10 years and it reads engine codes on anything that I’ve connected it to.
I also have a universal usb to obd cable and use a free piece of software called Forscan on a laptop.
It was written for Fords but works on Mazda also.
I’ve tried it but never needed it on the mx5

For use on my NC - I went with “FORSCAN” on my laptop and an elm327 usb cable.

Besides being a code reader - it also allowed me to code extra keys to the car.

Another alternative is an ELM327 bluetooth dongle and the “TORQUE” app on your phone.
It can read codes and also reads live data from the ecu