Observations and questions re my 2019 RF auto

I traded a 2015 NC Venture PRHT for the above as I wanted to go back to an auto RF ( I had a 2017 158 bhp RF).
My RF has a full body kit and in dealer speak’ is fully loaded’.
The biggest difference is the engine which run on 99 RON fuel feels a lot more then 184 bhp. Maybe the previous owner had it chipped? Due to data protection I can’t contact him.
I notice how much tauter the suspension is with nothing like the roll of my NC. There appear to be Bilsteins fitted but again I don’t know if uprated springs have been fitted. The dealer added Apple Carplay and I fitted footwell lights which wasn’t easy trying to identify the correct wires and fit a cable from one side to the other.
Has anyone installed a K& N air filter and does it improve performance?

being a normally aspirated engine having it chipped won’t make much difference. as for the k&n no it won’t increase power

should of said naturally aspirated

Thanks for your reply. Super chips claim an increase of 14 bhp and about
5 NM. BBR even more!

Sorry to be a party pooper, but the factory BHP figure is 181. The 184 figure is actually in PS (Pferdestärke) otherwise known as metric horsepower.

If it helps, I’ve had my ND2 on a dyno (Dyno Dynamics) which made 185 BHP. It did not have any engine or exhaust modifications at the time and always ran on Shell V-Power from new.

From personal experience I wouldn’t use Superchips.

Does wearing a Nike sweat shirt make a runner faster :thinking: Other than a difference in noise, and kudos among the mod show crew I do not believe a K&N will benefit performance in any meaningfull way. If you enjoy driving through fords and or flooded roads in winter K&N probably increases the risk of hydraulic engine lock quite significantly.

Just look at the number of almost new, barely used K&N kits for sale.

that’s quite a increase I’m supprised

Less than 10% :thinking:

for a non turbo car your lucky if you get 8 bhp

Well, that’s a new one. Keep making them up.

Replaced my K&N filter after 4.5 years very low miles done however cannot say there is any more poke out of her, but do like that you can clean the filter and replace it so this will help to keep servicing costs down in the long run … :wink:

1 Like

Interesting just looked up the cost of a oem filter for an NBFL from mx5parts and it’s 17 squidish they offer a similar K&N for the same standard oem fittment for 65 squidish. Might have to ponder that over the season of goodwill, seems at the very least the K&N might be marginally more environmentally friendly in terms of waste created.

1 Like

Hmmm, I think if anyone is dumb enough to drive through deep water in “any car” with the risk of sucking water into the engine then they deserve everything they get.
A bit of oil on an air filter won’t make the slightest bit of difference.

What is it the chaps driving Land Rovers say ? One Life, Live It ? To which I’d add Zoom Zoom, I’m not letting them have all the fun :wink:

1 Like

I went from an NC 3.75 rag top to a 184 auto ND RF. It is definitely substantially quicker it’s not in the imagination EVO magazine review noted the step up.

I had the BBR cat mid section and sport rear box added apparently it adds some power but certainly it revs more freely and sounds great adding to the feel. It doesn’t need more power.

I’m not sure what to do about suspension changes as the auto is not setup the same as the manual. Not fussed about lowering looks but the springs do allow small harsh bumps to bottom out the dampers - I’d just like a bit more compliance.

We both followed the same route though in 2017 I had a 158 bhp RF. The later 185 bhp is far better in all respects. I find leaving the auto in D with the sport mode on is almost as quick than using the M mode + paddles.
Regarding the suspension, there is a noticeable difference between the NC 3.75 in that there’s far less lean which I understand is due to slightly up rated rear springs and Bilsteins all round.
It’s also a relief to have LED lights as even with uprated bulbs the NC lights were appalling and a nightmare to fit especially on the near side!

Indeed the adaptive lights are the best I’ve ever had including versus German hardware…

Never drive in auto - love driving it manually with the throttle blip!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.