Odd Land Rover

Anyone know anything about this:

Its supposed to be a 3.5 V8, but pretty sure that’s not the case.

1 Like

I could do with some sort of close parking defence like that on the front of my NC😁

Interesting.

Fifty years ago a friend had a very rusty but mechanically excellent Mk2 2.4 Jag and acquired a Series 1 SWB Landy without rust (stove enamelled chassis) but totally worn-out mechanicals, and combined the two. It weighed half as much as the Jag did.

He ended up with a Landy “convertible” that would burn off almost anything on the road from the lights. The bits all fitted in, no long body nose needed since no 4WD box etc.

It all went together surprisingly easily. The joys of simple electrics, direct brakes and direct steering!

Weld adjustment to the Landy front rails to accommodate Jag front suspension subframe
Repair outriggers at the back of the Landy
Pay for a big shortening of the jag propshaft
Lower geared Jag back-axle from the 2.4 went onto the Landy springs with new custom clamps, and an anti-roll bar mainly to prevent axle tramp.
Body needed some adjustment to firewall and floor for the back of the engine, but that was done after creating a complete rolling powered chassis.
Even changing Ackerman steering angle was straightforward with a cunning bodge

I have no idea what happened to it after he moved away!

1 Like

Turns out I didn’t know Long Nose Land Rovers were a thing, some with Merlin (or the tank equivalent) engines

speaking of odd landrovers I was at a kitcar show at malvern on Sunday and we have seen this ex military 101 converted to a camper van.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.