Off for a paddle

Appreciated Roger.
Oddly, I’m not much bothered about my misfortune, and I must say all the passengers were very stoic about it as well…mostly.
I’ts such a pity she appears not to be operated by a wholly competent & seasoned team.
What stood out glaringly on Arran that “Waverely PLC” have a zero emergency Plan B in place.
We were “held” in the big ferry’s departure building in 28 degrees, old, infirm, and babies with no water, vittles, tea/coffee…or any hope of a rescue ship for 9 hours.
By tea time, the Police & Fire Service saw the impending risks to young and old, and formed a chain to remove botlted fluids & perishable vittles ship to shore which were divvied out as rations.
As it happens, by nature I tend to “over-prep” and had an Army scran-bag kit with hot soup, botted spring water, sarnies, and yoghurt puddngs etc so I was fine.
There is no prospect of mass accommodation on Arran…it’s a small island after all. I know it well…I spent 4 months of every year on it till aged 14 as we owned a cottage.
I will go back…when the much argued over Glen Sannox happens…under my own steam so to speak but I’ll never trust these “enthusiasts” again with my wellbeing. The ship deserves better.

1 Like

What a pity after all the work that’s been done to her. A real shame and I agree that she deserves better.
I really hope I’m wrong, but it sounds like it could be the end of the line for her.

2 Likes

Impossible to say SJ.
I sat on the bus from Ardrossan to Greenock where my 5 was waiting at 1.30 am Friday with no less than the CEO of Waverly “PLC” and he admitted his day was going to be a bit toxic with Insurance calls, not to mention their corporate legal team. Furthermore, the DOT etc will get weighed in in due course. It’ll all come out in the wash probably next year but she’s a dry dock case for certain.
What was another glaring “fail” was a complete lack of emergency contingency in terms of basic needs eg water & vittles especially for the elderly & children, plus an absence of joined up communication. She is, at the end of the day, a very sinkable & relatively delicate old vessel. Anyway, I’ll get back to Arran ( where I was partly brought up) under my own steam one day, but I’ll not trust the Waverely’s crew to ge tme there…which is different from saying I don’t trust the vessel. In competent hands, she’s all good.
Unusually for me, I’ve not even bothered to download my photos of the day onto my PC.

1 Like

Thanks Sottishfiver for the details of the accident - I’ve been following the story on the news, having sailed on the Waverley on a number of occasions while holidaying in Rothesay, Isle Of Bute & also in Brodick, Arran. I really hope that she can sail again.

1 Like

Glad you’re safe, let’s hope nobody suffers long term effects and that the poor old girl gets repaired, I would think twice about going on her now even though I was looking forward to doing it again from Southend pier up the Thames.
Take care Dave.

1 Like

As I write, Waverely is paddling back to “sick bay” under her own steam at a reduced waddle. So, she is sea-worthy to a degree (expected anyhow) and does not need assistance.
Basically hopefully just got a punch in the nose.
Looking proud, tooting away at well wishers, but with a bit of a " Not amused" Princess Anne expression on her snout.

3 Likes

Some good news then ! Let’s hope there is more to follow :+1:

Actually got an invitation from them by Email today to, wait for it to book an amazing experience.
Pherkin’ roite it was amazing.
I declined, and assured them politely I’d be taking a huge ruddy thumping great ferry to Arran complete with Roadster but thanks anyhow! :open_mouth:

4 Likes