Offset of wheels

hi all
could anyone tell me if 16" wheels from a MK 2 would fit my MK 4 as I have been offered
a nice set of Team Dynamics rims and tyres , I’m concerned about the offset and would the studding be the same.
appreciate any input
cheers Cliff

MX5 WHEEL SIZE

All MX5’s have a 4x100 wheel fitting (four holes, 100mm apart) and you can check against the website in the link above.

Hope this helps

1 Like

Hi J,
NC has the 5 stud pattern and is listed correctly in the link you gave. NA NB and ND have the same 4 stud pattern.
:heart:

ND offset, PCD, centre bore are the same as the Mk1. The MK2 offset was 5mm different from the Mk1, but the wheels are cross-compatible. The only setting that would be unknown is the backspacing, which is no quite the same as offset. This is more of an issue for wheels with curved spokes (eg. Minilite style), where the back of the spokes can catch on the calipers.

Tyre size for the ND on 16" is 195/50 16. On the Mk2, its 215/55 16.

The NB tyre is too tall, and the speed will under read. At an indicated 60 mph, you would be actually at 64mph. The tyres would be no use to you.

thanks for the replies apparently the rims were bought to use as track wheel and come with some sticky tyres on I need to find out what size they were running on .

The MK2 16“ wheel was 205 45 16. If you have this size tyre it will be 10mm diameter smaller than your tyre, that won’t trouble you.
Back spacing is distance from the hub face to the inside edge of the wheel and is used to determine if a wheel will hit or rub a spring, damper or other suspension component.
MK4 wheels are 45 offset which puts them in the same ballpark as the Starfish 16" wheels of MK2.5 sports.

1 Like

Academic perhaps but were ND’s not 5 stud for a bit…reverting to 4 stud?
Seems familiar but I cannot recall why!

Hi S, I think they were 4 stud from the start, we purchased an early one and it was 4 stud. May be some early ‘design’ photos for publicity showed a 5 stud and that is where your memory is focusing.
:heart:

1 Like

Fiat 124 Mules, 4 stud;

ND MX5 road going mule, 4 stud

ND MX5 Nurburgring mule

Right.
Memory playing tricks again.
Just like me saying to SWMBO I’d only be 10 minutes in the Mk1 checking tyres…and returned 5 hours later. :yum:

1 Like

It’s simpler than that, your subconscious mind saw mules with an NC-like disguise and assumed NC wheels.

2 Likes

Ah!
I am redeemed! :innocent:

All ND’s are 4 stud but ND1s and ND2s have different across flats wheel nut sizes. My ND1 wheel brace supplied by Mazda did not fit my ND2!

That’s nuts.
:woozy_face:

1 Like

Yep, Mazda weight saving, 19mm to 17mm saved a few grams . . . .

Thanks for all the reply’s
Have had a look at the wheels that was offered to my they are like new but only problem is they are a 15 inch rim and tyre
Did mazdas ever run on 15 inch rims
Cheers Cliff

I believe some NAs and NBs came with 15" rims but the smallest NC and ND rims were 16" .

Tyres will likely be no good, but the wheels might clear (though probably not if you have Brembos, and not on a 2.0).

15" Enkei RPF1 on a 1.5

On a 2.0, but brake clearance is tight

Some other 15x8s on a 2.0

Apparently fit is more tight on the rears than the fronts.

They would not look right on a ND, looks like I’ll be flogging some 15inch Black motorsport dynamic rims with a nearly new set of tyres on